SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rec'd a letter from Saab/GM today stating that my 2007 9-3 is subject to a recall for "electronic emissions controls which may cause the vehicle to not start under certain conditions".

Anyone know details on this? Just curious.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The letter specifically says "recall"

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
That's actually pretty rare, if it's not on the NHSTA site it sounds like it's a major Voluntary as opposed to a Mandatory recall. Couldn't find a thing on the Web.

Edit: Only recall I could find was an EPA recall on the 07 verts:

GENERAL MOTORS
2924 V 4/27/2007 2007 Saab 9-3 Convertible 7GMXV02.3001 Affected vehicles were built with a VECI label that has an
incorrect emission test group name 7GMXV02.0003 on the label.
The correct test group name should be 7GMXV02.3001.
Remedy: A corrected VECI label is to be installed on the
affected vehicles. A new label will be sent with installation
instructions directly to customers of record. If the customers
desire, they may bring the label to their dealer for installation at
no charge at any time through October 31, 2007.
8,633 FC(FA + CA) 8,633 cars affected

·
Registered
92 Posts
JonV said:
That's actually pretty rare, if it's not on the NHSTA site it sounds like it's a major Voluntary as opposed to a Mandatory recall. Couldn't find a thing on the Web.

Edit: Only recall I could find was an EPA recall on the 07 verts:

GENERAL MOTORS
2924 V 4/27/2007 2007 Saab 9-3 Convertible 7GMXV02.3001 Affected vehicles were built with a VECI label that has an
incorrect emission test group name 7GMXV02.0003 on the label.
The correct test group name should be 7GMXV02.3001.
Remedy: A corrected VECI label is to be installed on the
affected vehicles. A new label will be sent with installation
instructions directly to customers of record. If the customers
desire, they may bring the label to their dealer for installation at
no charge at any time through October 31, 2007.
8,633 FC(FA + CA) 8,633 cars affected
Boy, what bureaucrat came up with that waste of money?

Bad test group number, eh?

Man ... I was really sweating that one ... better not drive it until I get a new label ...

No wonder cars cost so much ...

Cheers!!

Ken

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Missileman said:
Boy, what bureaucrat came up with that waste of money?

Bad test group number, eh?

Man ... I was really sweating that one ... better not drive it until I get a new label ...

No wonder cars cost so much ...

Cheers!!

Ken
LOL, and I don't want to tell you how long it took me to find it....

EDIT: think any other of those 8,633 cars are members?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The letter states:

"November 2007
Dear Saab owner,

This notice is sent to inform you that Saab automobile AB is conducting a voluntary emission recall that includes your vehicle.

Reason for this recall: Your 2007 model year Saab 9-3 was built with an incorrectly calibrated engine control module, which could result in an enging that is, in some cases, difficult to start. "

The rest is just instructions on scheduling with the dealer for the software update...that it's no charge..blah blah blah.

There is no number associated with the recall that I can find. It's voluntary so won't show up on NTSB.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got the same letter this morning. I was just noticing that the car seem to have a much harder time starting on a cold morning. It would take a noticable longer time to turn over than normal. Mabye this will fix it :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JonV said:
LOL, or they'll bring back the SAI Pump:eek:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I disconnected the SAI on my 1995 900S. Was tired of my car sounding like a ShopVac at startup! Unfortunately on newer models disconnecting it throws a CEL.

SAI = Secondary Air Injection. A system used on earlier Saabs that pumped air into the exhaust manifold to make the catalytic converter operate more efficiently during cold engine conditions when the fuel mixture is rich. The system had a lot of problems on the NG900 and the 9-3.

Your 2007 does not have this.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
JonV said:
The only SS to have the SAI was the 03...after that they got rid of it...
Actually, all 03 2.0L and some 04 2.0L AND(!) all 06 2.8L and some (maybe all?) 07 2.8L have SAI.
As for the recall, it is just programming the ECM.

·
Registered
473 Posts
on another note, i dropped my 9-3 off today and hung out for a bit, its throwing transmission codes, and a whole heap of codes and its only got 5300 miles, wont shift right in tiptronic, im just praying my cars not a lemon! i mean i get on her from time to time on the highway but not even hard enough to cause this or anything near this!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just had the "Voluntary Emission Recall" done.Some 2007 9-3s with 4 cyl engines(B207) were built with incorrectly calibrated engine control modules (ECM T-8).

VIN ranges....9-3 conv....76000001 to 76111222,
9-3 SS and Combi.......71000001 to 71151514

Owners of affected cars within these ranges are supposed to be notified directly but if you are wondering,call dealer with your VIN and quote Saab Bulletin #15302,Oct 2007.

This is software fix to cure difficult starting or in some cases,non-starting. Took little time to do. I had no starting problem before but immediately noticed how much smoother the car is at idle after the update.

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah mine was an ecu software recall, and that was fun ...... and i did notice yesterday morning starting my car in 41 degree weather, that it just turned right over lol like i didnt even have to hold the key to start it, i swear my car amuses me every time i drive it, something new something awesome!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hugh said:
This is software fix to cure difficult starting or in some cases,non-starting. Took little time to do. I had no starting problem before but immediately noticed how much smoother the car is at idle after the update.
Just got my notice last week. Thinking about doing the service along with my 10K maintenance. I haven't noticed any starting issues in the first 2 months of ownership. The only thing that resembles an issue is when I don't turn the FOB and hold it in start mode long enough, the engine won't start. But, I don't think this is directly related. Either way, I expect to do the service in about 2 weeks and let you folks know if I experience a difference.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts