SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I been doing a lot of research on various SAAB tuner companies, such as Nordic, BSR, MapTun, etc. but I think I must say I have come to a conclusion on the MapTun Stage 6 E85 Bio Ethanol conversion. totaling 425hp with 540nm of power. costs $10,000 all up which is remarkably quite cheaper than the equivlent Stage 6 Gasoline upgrade kit (stand alone car with mods, cost is $14,800 and only comes with 5hp less but same 540nm)

doing the Bio Ethanol E85 upgrade can still use both gas and ethanol fuels.

what I'm asking is is..if anyone has done an upgrade like this, how quick is the process, any other hidden details that they don't explain on the site, and how is the traction on the road, and how fast is it 0 - 60mph ?

(sorry for all the questions ;) )

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
$14,800 is just for the Tuner Kit, I still got to source out a 9-5 Aero. I found a manual one for $16,900 2002. but I think If I wait I can get it cheaper. but I might go with the E85 Ethanol upgrade, better value.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
something like this is probably very very tough to pull off. with 540 nm torque i would be scared for the tranny everytime i drove it lol.

You really dont hear about many tunes like these on SAABs, and theres a pretty good reason. Frankly, they just dont handle it very well. Sure, you can beef up the motor, do an LSD suspension, heavy duty clutch, etc. but its still a heavy, front wheel drive vehicle, which is probably why few people tune them past 300hp.

i would personally LOVE to see something like this, as i've seen very few instances of it before, but check out the site ecuproject.com. a few people there have e85 tunes, and i sure they can give you some useful info.

with that much horse and torque, i would expect to see 0-60's (without torque limiters, perhaps, altough very dangerous to motor/tranny) in the very low to mid 5 sec range (0-60 sucks on these cars, unfortunately). but you'll probably be able to do 60-90 faster than some supercars, haha

You could probably finish the quarter in the very high 12's to mid 13's. I'm just going by some other tuned saabs i've seen (at genuine saab, i know they have a 2.0 900 race car, with slicks, and about 520hp, they can finish the quarter in 11.3-11.5

SOMETHING I FORGOT: traction is going to be your BIGGEST issue. the aeros already have a tough time keeping it together, and thats with 250hp/approx 370nm? your going to need some ridiculous tires, a very tight suspension, and the LSD to have any chance of getting decent grip

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
something like this is probably very very tough to pull off. with 540 nm torque i would be scared for the tranny everytime i drove it lol.

You really dont hear about many tunes like these on SAABs, and theres a pretty good reason. Frankly, they just dont handle it very well. Sure, you can beef up the motor, do an LSD suspension, heavy duty clutch, etc. but its still a heavy, front wheel drive vehicle, which is probably why few people tune them past 300hp.

i would personally LOVE to see something like this, as i've seen very few instances of it before, but check out the site ecuproject.com. a few people there have e85 tunes, and i sure they can give you some useful info.

with that much horse and torque, i would expect to see 0-60's (without torque limiters, perhaps, altough very dangerous to motor/tranny) in the mid to high 4 second range.

You could probably finish the quarter in the very high 12's to mid 13's. I'm just going by some other tuned saabs i've seen (at genuine saab, i know they have a 2.0 900 race car, with slicks, and about 520hp, they can finish the quarter in 11.3-11.5

Thanks for the response,

I was thinking of selling the car and getting a Pontiac GTO LS2 6.0L but I still just love SAAB so much, so I might as well get a newer SAAB and tune it all the way, (instead of going Stage 3 BSR) (and Stage 6 will have 25hp more than the GTO :p )

Plus it will remain unique as I don't think there are many Stage 6 SAAB 9-5 Aero's in the country. So I think its worth a shot. :)

I was also thinking about the traction, how good is it, cause from what I heard, wheel spins usually occur in lower gears, I would have to get some good performance tires.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thanks for the response,

I was thinking of selling the car and getting a Pontiac GTO LS2 6.0L but I still just love SAAB so much, so I might as well get a newer SAAB and tune it all the way, (instead of going Stage 3 BSR) (and Stage 6 will have 25hp more than the GTO :p )

Plus it will remain unique as I don't think there are many Stage 6 SAAB 9-5 Aero's in the country. So I think its worth a shot. :)

I was also thinking about the traction, how good is it, cause from what I heard, wheel spins usually occur in lower gears, I would have to get some good performance tires.
yes on the tires- you will need some very high quality radials. the limited slip is going to help A LOT with traction, people who make these into track cars generally fit one. you get the most wheelspin in 1st and 2nd because of your torque limiters, and boost limiter, so removing those would help that (but i wouldn't, unless you REALLY know what youre doing with the tune)

youre definitely right about unique. it will be the ultimate sleeper my friend, i would just love to see a SAAB completely just take someones vette, porsche, etc. Just imagine the face they would pull after you did that....

i've actually come around to the GTO's (thought they were 7.2l?) theyre a cool car. but i'd still take the saab anyday.

I'm going to be tuning to about 275whp (hopefully) and 400nm torque this summer. thats as FAR as i will go though, because this is really just a sexy commuter car for me. If i was going balls to the walls with a track car, it would probably be a k20 honda or a RWD import (m3, most likely). but there's nothing like seeing heavy FWD four bangers keep up with the domestic 427 v8s.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ivanwakeup;1683170 youre definitely right about unique. it will be the ultimate sleeper my friend said:
I will look into what tires to get before purchasing the tuner kit, and of course new suspension (kit comes with heavy duty clutch which has the capacity for 600nm)

Also, the Stock Aero is supposedly faster than the Porsche 911 997 Turbo (from 80km/h to 150km/h). adding more power is going to guarantee to beat it hands down.

yeah GTO is LS2 6.0L but they make a 6.2L and 7.0L but I'm not sure what engine type...

nice....hope it turns out good, 275hp ? I was going to settle for something like that, but 290hp was staring at me...then 310hp...then I saw 425hp and got me thinking....why not ? lol :D

(well you see, I'm not a fan of imports...SAAB will be as close as I get to one in upgrading engine etc)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
450 Posts
Also, the Stock Aero is supposedly faster than the Porsche 911 997 Turbo (from 80km/h to 150km/h). adding more power is going to guarantee to beat it hands down.
No, not the 997 Turbo, but I believe Saab was talking about a 9000 Aero being faster then a Porsche 911 Turbo and a Ferrari Testarossa of the same erra in the 80km/k to 150km/h dash.

·
Registered
463 Posts
type in 500hp saab on youtube. theres a guy from this forum with a 415whp 9-5 that will come up. also, go on to uksaabs.co.uk and search for a user called soulfirer. he's got the uk's official Maptun stage 7 9-5. i hope double demerit points have finished if you plan on doiing this!! :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
type in 500hp saab on youtube. theres a guy from this forum with a 415whp 9-5 that will come up. also, go on to uksaabs.co.uk and search for a user called soulfirer. he's got the uk's official Maptun stage 7 9-5. i hope double demerit points have finished if you plan on doiing this!! :lol:
Thanks for that,

you mean this guy ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRNS1x4dknY&feature=related

That one is insane,

I will need to get a Saab mechanic to install the new forged pistons, camshafts, etc....(whats the cost like ? is it friendly ? :( )

(I taken into account the cost of installing new brakes and suspension as well as high performance tires )

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks for that,

you mean this guy ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRNS1x4dknY&feature=related

That one is insane,

I will need to get a Saab mechanic to install the new forged pistons, camshafts, etc....(whats the cost like ? is it friendly ? :( )

(I taken into account the cost of installing new brakes and suspension as well as high performance tires )
tis indeed the one. he's on here, can't remember his user name though, he doesn't post often. last time he post i think he was away to put in his 7th transmission. so i would advise talking to ppl that have done it before going ahead. soulfirer on uk saabs is friendly and informative, and is on there all the time.

if you can strip the engine yourself to put in the pistons, i would. thats what i plan on doing (i plan on getting a gt28 in summer 2011 after preparation is done ie brakes suspension tranny). you can buy pistons direct from wossner. i can get that delivered to the uk from usa for £429. check out wossneronline.com. labour is likely to cost circa £1500 - £2000 if i got a garage to do it, so find a friend if you can to help you out and save money! personally im not doing cams. to me, i just think its another expense; you lose torque, and it just helps you give a better dyno figure. people here that have cmmed cars say the car feels laggier and less enjoyable to drive, as turbo spools higher.

where do u plan on getting up above 110kmh? aus is so strict with speed!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tis indeed the one. he's on here, can't remember his user name though, he doesn't post often. last time he post i think he was away to put in his 7th transmission. so i would advise talking to ppl that have done it before going ahead. soulfirer on uk saabs is friendly and informative, and is on there all the time.

if you can strip the engine yourself to put in the pistons, i would. thats what i plan on doing (i plan on getting a gt28 in summer 2011 after preparation is done ie brakes suspension tranny). you can buy pistons direct from wossner. i can get that delivered to the uk from usa for £429. check out wossneronline.com. labour is likely to cost circa £1500 - £2000 if i got a garage to do it, so find a friend if you can to help you out and save money! personally im not doing cams. to me, i just think its another expense; you lose torque, and it just helps you give a better dyno figure. people here that have cmmed cars say the car feels laggier and less enjoyable to drive, as turbo spools higher.

where do u plan on getting up above 110kmh? aus is so strict with speed!

I think I will see if I can get a hold of either one of them to find out in more detail. because I seen the MapTun 315hp package but when you see 425hp its just WOW...might as well right ? LOL

All I am looking for is incredibly insane speeds from 0 - 60kmh at traffic lights and maybe go down to the drag races to race the quarter mile against V8's. I reckon it would be quite fun..and when the occasional GTR comes, I'd probably beat it in a short run :) .

315hp is probably a lot for the car, 425hp SAAB 9-5 AERO is quite exclusive because as far as I know theres only a 420hp 9000 AERO in Australia.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i could be mistaken, but with that much power and torque, you may need to think about a few other things besides forged pistons, much stronger rods, etc. I'm not really sure how much the stock crankshaft will put up with, but its definitely something to consider.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info :) I rang around and my local SAAB mechanic can install pistons camshaft and clutch for $3000 which I think is not bad, just the turbo, etc is another job, I just hope Pirelli high performance tires will be suitable to give grip in all weather conditions. I'll get some Brembo brakes installed with Ceramic pads.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thanks for the info :) I rang around and my local SAAB mechanic can install pistons camshaft and clutch for $3000 which I think is not bad, just the turbo, etc is another job, I just hope Pirelli high performance tires will be suitable to give grip in all weather conditions. I'll get some Brembo brakes installed with Ceramic pads.
good idea. if you're gonna be able to go twice as fast, you damn sure better be able to stop twice as fast ;)

3000 is not bad at all. thats about what i would expect. Yokohama and Bridgestone make some awesome tires IMO, so i would definitely check them out. keep in mind its still a street tire, if youre gonna be taking it to the track, racing radials/slicks will suit you best, although they are pricey.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
good idea. if you're gonna be able to go twice as fast, you damn sure better be able to stop twice as fast ;)

3000 is not bad at all. thats about what i would expect. Yokohama and Bridgestone make some awesome tires IMO, so i would definitely check them out. keep in mind its still a street tire, if youre gonna be taking it to the track, racing radials/slicks will suit you best, although they are pricey.
;) thanks for that, yeah I have looked into track tires and they are quite expensive depending what brand/model.

I checked pirelli and toyo so far as well as goodyear but thats about it, I'll shop around first to find whats the best tire for a car like that (and considering its front wheel drive traction is quite important :p

1 - 20 of 38 Posts