SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone disconnected Onstar? I really want to know, since the Analog Onstar is obsolete, if I can disconnect it and utilize the Tel1 with an after-market Hands Free Kit (IHF1000) and the Saab Phone Harness?

I have read the threads on this site, and that info is great, but mainly that is applicable to MY04+ with the Telephone Pre-Wire.

Please Help!

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would also like to know this, i would like to put my ipod in to the OnStar place so when i hit the OnStar button i go to my ipod

·
Registered
497 Posts
The onstar box is connected with a fiber optic cable, so you need a terminator. I remember seeing something a few years back about this, but you need to do a search to pin it down.

Not really any chance of connecting your ipod to this connection unless some new interface comes out.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
As above. Onstar communicates by o-bus. You can delete the box and install a MOST loopback available from Etadyne for a few bucks. Easy install.

Some people get "NO ONSTAR" message once subscription expires. I got that. Went away when I deleted the box. For others the message persists. This probably has to do with which software version the ICM is running.

With the box deleted you will have the Onstar buttons available to play with, though no one has done anything creative in that regard as of yet (that I know of). I'm talking about the buttons next to the cupholder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the O-Bus

Here's what I know:

I have to keep the Optical Loop in tact.

But what I don't know is, where does the Onstar connect to the EHU, and does that connection match the 375 Connector and thus removing the Onstar free up a the plug for the Hands Free Harness from Saab.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
http://www.etadyne.com/product-mostloop.htm

Will enable you to remove the box from the trunk.

Then you have spare buttons and things. Someone has recycled the buttons into buttons for their parrot or motorola handsfree but not much else been done with them.

The installed microphone can be recycled into another handsfree, not sure where it is plugged in on that though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does this mean that you could then remove the sharkfin antenna (possibly mounting your satellite radio antenna there)? Probably have to do something to properly seal the hole.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Onstar

Still looking for someone that has removed Onstar from the EHU and if that opens up a slot for this:

see attachment, don't know how to put the image in the post

Attachments

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
loaderjosh said:
Still looking for someone that has removed Onstar from the EHU and if that opens up a slot for this:

OnStar is a box in the trunk, removing it will not do anything to the EHU at the front.

Buy the cable and pull the EHU out, see what is there? I don't imagine much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Onstar

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
loaderjosh said:
Has anyone disconnected Onstar? I really want to know, since the Analog Onstar is obsolete, if I can disconnect it and utilize the Tel1 with an after-market Hands Free Kit (IHF1000) and the Saab Phone Harness?

I have read the threads on this site, and that info is great, but mainly that is applicable to MY04+ with the Telephone Pre-Wire.

Please Help!

Thanks
The answer to this is yes, many have replaced onstar with an IFH1000.
You need the 375 cable (saab part number 12801584) which is what you are showing. You don't even need to remove the onstar box.

http://www.saab.com/main/GLOBAL/en/accessories/1/0/0/T/5/result.shtml

Is the part and number

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72327&highlight=IHF1000

Explains the how to

5. Connected Saab Harness Wires to Motorola Harness:
Saab ground (black) to Motorola ground (black).
Saab mute (yellow) to Motorola Mute (yellow).
Saab power (red) to Motorola power (red)
Saab keyed power (red/blue) to Motorola ignition power (green)
Saab line output signal (grey/white) to Motorola line audio + (orange)
Saab line output ground (blue/white) to Motorola line audio - (blue)
Saab mic low level output (orange) to Motorola mic (yellow)*
Saab mic ground (green) to Motorla mic ground (black)*
* the Motorola mic lines were twisted together and had a connector which I just cut off.
You do not use the Motorola connector for the Motorolla speaker.

For the wiring colours

and you are set. There is no necessity to worry about the box in the trunk, or you can replace it with a piece of plastic and lighten your car by 3lbs (and improve the 0-60 by well nowt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is for MY04 or Pre Wired Cars

That is for the Pre-Wired Models,

Saab installed those in lieu of Onstar, from what I have gathered that 375 Connector goes to where previously the Onstar goes.

If have Onstar there is not a place to put that Harness.... thus my frustration.

That Tel One Product is a work around for cars with Onstar, but what I would like to know is if I remove Onstar if I can use the Wiring Harness

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Onstar Connections

here is what goes into my Onstar Box.

The thicker Orange is the Optical. There are two more cables that go into the Onstar, presumably antennas for GPS and Cell.

There are two images, but they are the same connector just from the other side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
loaderjosh said:
what I would like to know is if I remove Onstar if I can use the Wiring Harness
With a high degree of certainty I believe the answer is yes. What you are looking at connected to the OnStar box in the back is the other end of a cable very similar to the 375 cable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ctrlz said:
As above. Onstar communicates by o-bus. You can delete the box and install a MOST loopback available from Etadyne for a few bucks. Easy install.

Some people get "NO ONSTAR" message once subscription expires. I got that. Went away when I deleted the box. For others the message persists. This probably has to do with which software version the ICM is running.

With the box deleted you will have the Onstar buttons available to play with, though no one has done anything creative in that regard as of yet (that I know of). I'm talking about the buttons next to the cupholder.

I did this to mine.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115654

·
Registered
9 Posts
still have onstar???

I just picked up my 03 9-3 and the Onstar and phone are still working. I thought effective January 1 it would no longer be available.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The cellphone companies (Verizon in this case) are allowed to start shutting off AMPS as of January 1. Not all of them are doing it at exactly the same time. Don't expect it to work for much longer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
here is what goes into my Onstar Box.

The thicker Orange is the Optical. There are two more cables that go into the Onstar, presumably antennas for GPS and Cell.

There are two images, but they are the same connector just from the other side.

So what if I just CUT all the wires EXCEPT the fiber optic ones? will that kill my onstar gps tracking?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts