SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to change the fuel filter, has anyone had a go yet? Any tips, description pics etc.

Many thanks.. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
Yes it is a job you can do yourself. O/S rear of the car about 2" forward of the rear tyre. It will have a cover over it ( plastic ) Cut the cable tie and remove the cover. Don't forget to de-pressurise the fuel system first though...

Remove fuse 19 whilst engine is at idle, engine will shortly stop, switch off ignition and replace fuse ;)
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Bud,

Ordered one today from PFS. Apparently they are good for about 60,000 miles. that puts mine nearly due for a change. So I will give it a go. Pics to follow....:D


OEM Bosch Fuel Filter.




To Fit: 900 8v 1986 to 1990, 900 16v 1984 to 1993, 9000 1985 to 1998, 900 1994 to 1998, 9-3 1998 to 2002 (not diesel), 9-5 1998 onwards (not diesel)

Provided with sealing rings/washers


Ref: F5601 PFS Price: £9.69 per item(s)
Prices shown include VAT at 17.5%

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=39_125&products_id=1682


Finn :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Ive changed three fuel filters now and the only possible problem could be the steel strap that holds the filter in place., held by one screw.If the strap is coroded and the fuel filter wont come out with just slackening the screw off a little you will have to take the whole thing off and remove the filter.Be carefull not to bend the strap.Re attaching the strap is a little fiddly as its under tension. It is an easy job though but on one of my cars it hadnt been changed in years.
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DJ53 said:
Ive changed three fuel filters now and the only possible problem could be the steel strap that holds the filter in place., held by one screw.If the strap is coroded and the fuel filter wont come out with just slackening the screw off a little you will have to take the whole thing off and remove the filter.Be carefull not to bend the strap.Re attaching the strap is a little fiddly as its under tension. It is an easy job though but on one of my cars it hadnt been changed in years.
Thanks DJ, I did have a quick look today and things do seem to be quite corroded in there. I have sprayed a bit of release agent around the area, hopefully things will have time to loosten up whilst I wait for the filter to arrive ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,520 Posts
Hi there,

Every now and then I jump the the fence from the C900 world to the 95 world to browse the posts and generally drool! ;)

So today I'm drawn to FINN'S site by the beautiful avatar,
then,
stumped by the stunning photos of the front grill,
started weeping at what is close to best 95 I've seen in a long time,
( I have a longing for a 95 estate too!:cry: ) enjoyed the turbo footage, ( I'm sure it's not SAAB but I am curious to know the car marque of that footage) and now the image I'm left with.... what a GREAT look the twin rear tail pipe is!
I didn't look that thoroughly through your site so excuse the following question if it's already been stated, is it dual piping all the way through from the cat. conv. or just the tail?

I'm going to hop back over the fence now...........visiting hour is up!;oops:


Cheers
'93 900i


P.S. I like your profile page but is your birthday REALLY 30th July 1903? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
Rodentmaster said:
I didn't look that thoroughly through your site so excuse the following question if it's already been stated, is it dual piping all the way through from the cat. conv. or just the tail?


Back box only :cool:
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rodentmaster said:
I didn't look that thoroughly through your site so excuse the following question if it's already been stated, is it dual piping all the way through from the cat.
Thanks Chris, as you can see its just the back box, I prefered this to the one large outlet available. I actually dont have a cat anymore, straight through all the way :cheesy:

1903 - Ha no wonder I have been feeling so old recently.

Not sure what car the turbo clip is from, I just loved the sound :D

Finn :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
DJ53 said:
Ive changed three fuel filters now and the only possible problem could be the steel strap that holds the filter in place., held by one screw.If the strap is coroded and the fuel filter wont come out with just slackening the screw off a little you will have to take the whole thing off and remove the filter.Be carefull not to bend the strap.Re attaching the strap is a little fiddly as its under tension. It is an easy job though but on one of my cars it hadnt been changed in years.
Also remember to fully drain the old filter before you remove it (you know what happened next:eek: ). I depressurised the system , undone one side of the filter and let it hang and drain. Waited till it stopped and pulled off the other side of the filter from the pipe and ended up -while under the car - with a load of petrol in my eyes,up my nose and in my mouth- ended up down the local A & E. Replacing the door trim panels the black plastic piece around the top of the window sprang off and cut open my eyeball - back down the A & E;oops: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
bazwold said:
while under the car - with a load of petrol in my eyes,up my nose and in my mouth- ended up down the local A & E. Replacing the door trim panels the black plastic piece around the top of the window sprang off and cut open my eyeball - back down the A & E;oops: .
Eek :eek: Scary stuff Baz :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
For gods sake baz find a good cheap indy quick before you have any more mishaps.A saab just isnt worth it!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
Thanks peeps, I know what you mean. Walking riding working driving I can have an accident anyhow,anywhere;oops: :cheesy: ., My wife despairs LOL. I think I'd better leave this thread and let it get back on track;)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top