SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the car has any potential in amateur competition to be fun and competitive. Any one have experience with an auto trans in Auto-X?

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I doubt that it would be much fun.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You will never know till you try it, i don't see how an auto could not compete, after all its for your own satisfaction and fun, you will find a lot of Autofobes in here, "only a man if you use a clutch":roll: :cheesy: .

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how often do you get beyond second gear in an auto-X anyway?

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
microcat36 said:
you will find a lot of Autofobes in here, "only a man if you use a clutch":roll: :cheesy: .
:roll:

Nothing to do with being a man or not, slushboxes are just borring. Sometimes borring is ok, my dad has a Camry with an auto, a soft suspention, marshmallow brakes and goddamnit is that thing borring.

Can you heal-toe and automatic? Don't think so.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nothing to do with being a man or not, slushboxes are just borring.
Take an auto Aero up to 300HP and manually overide the auto changer to keep in the 3000-5500 rpm range. Not all that boring.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Robinb said:
Take an auto Aero up to 300HP and manually overide the auto changer to keep in the 3000-5500 rpm range. Not all that boring.
And watch your transmission fall out? That should be a hoot.

300HP Aero, eh? So you would be driving a fast car and there are plenty of them around (yes some are automatics) but you still won't get the interaction and control like with a manual.

I am not a fan of "put the car in 'D' and it goes forward" no matter how fast it is, in fact I'd take my N/A CS 5-speed over a slushbox Aero any day even though the Aero is faster.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
valbowski1980 said:
I am not a fan of "put the car in 'D' and it goes forward" no matter how fast it is, in fact I'd take my N/A CS 5-speed over a slushbox Aero any day even though the Aero is faster.
neither am i, but i got what i got. it was a compromise since the wifey ain't too proficient with a manual.

if i want shifting, i have the MSM to amuse me. just curious if anyone has done it. i know plenty of auto Camaros, Mustangs, Corvettes, and Porsches Auto-X; just curious how Saabophiles did. looks like i'll be the first to try!

isn't the point of Auto-X to perfect driver input as much as possible, even before setup? i mean, it's all about picking the right line around the cones, right?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I guess you didn't read (or maybe understand) what I said about manual override. Anyway, come on over, and bring money.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Robinb said:
I guess you didn't read (or maybe understand) what I said about manual override. Anyway, come on over, and bring money.
Does your manual override have a clutch pedal? If not then I'm not interested no matter how fast it goes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does anyone autocross a 9000? I've still got some life on my Yoko A520s and I've been tempted to give my other 9-car a rest and run the 9000T. Anyone tried it?

Rod.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Rod'899kT said:
Does anyone autocross a 9000? I've still got some life on my Yoko A520s and I've been tempted to give my other 9-car a rest and run the 9000T. Anyone tried it?

Rod.
i'm going to try it, but haven't yet. need some upgrades first. what class are we in?

Street Touring (STS) looks like a good category for starters, but i'm not sure if the 2.3 liter displacement bumps me up to STX, where the competition is much tougher. The class looks like G stock, which puts the 9k up against some A4's, Volvo's and older Supras. Could be fun!

·
Registered
116 Posts
baco99 said:
i'm going to try it, but haven't yet. need some upgrades first. what class are we in?

Street Touring (STS) looks like a good category for starters, but i'm not sure if the 2.3 liter displacement bumps me up to STX, where the competition is much tougher. The class looks like G stock, which puts the 9k up against some A4's, Volvo's and older Supras. Could be fun!
Not sure how classes change from one organization's rules to another's but the Canadian rule book I'm looking at puts all Saab turbos into Stock Class G. We're too small a group to worry about classes where I run though. Just "run what ya brung".

Rod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts