SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried..

http://technicaldiversions.blogspot.com/

I was wonder how hard it would be to wire up my MP3 player (Creative Labs Nomad) and if it was doable on the weekend. I'm just not sure where the wires go, maybe you guys could help me figure it out? Does the miniplug ends (L & R) go into that solder spot where the traces must be cut?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I'll be doing this within two weeks. Already have parts. Just waiting on my buddy to get his dremel back from his Uncle.

I'm doing it to my 900 AND my 9-3.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, I tried for several hours on my 99 9-3. Could only get 1 side to work. Back to using the iTrip. It was simple enough. Couldn't understand why only one side. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I guess I could have been a bit more helpfull. Bad moderator! :cheesy:

avixcore said:
I'm just not sure where the wires go, maybe you guys could help me figure it out? Does the miniplug ends (L & R) go into that solder spot where the traces must be cut?

You cut the trace and attach your mini plug to the L and R as shown. The 3rd cable, GND, goes to the light green area of the board. All that light green is GND.
The GND is so you don't get engine whine through the system.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
The GND is so you don't get engine whine through the system
That's an interesting fact. A few weeks back I "solved" my aux in problem by putting an fm-transponder into the antenna line. I noticed that the unit was live as soon as I hooked up the red wire and the antenna cable, so I figured the ground wire was redundant. I was disappointed at firs b/c I had lots of engine whine when I used it. Connecting the ground wire properly took care of it.

The FM modulator isn't bad, but it's still a little clipped sounding sometimes. I guess there's only so much you can accomplish for twenty bucks or so.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
That's the sick part, J.

Hacking the radio is less then $10 in parts. It's the cheapest option. ;)

Audiodude, I'd check those solder points again. If it's a sloppy solder (NOI) and they are soldered to each other you could be pumping everything through one channel. That's the only cause I can really think of.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Hacking the radio is less then $10 in parts. It's the cheapest option.
I sort of considered it, but I thought this wasn't an option on a '94 900. Perhaps it is possible and I just got lost in the endless iPod thread :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
oh it's an option, i am enjoying my hacked 95 900.

my (and other's, it was sort of a group thing with me as guinea pig) tape hack is right here. that's around page 9 of 11, so you'll have to sort through the reading as we haven't really written it up yet. (I'm a bad saabcentraller).

b_h

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got the parts and stuff, and I know the pigtails (to MP3 player) connect to the Tel-IN points L&R, but where and how do I ground the switch to work?

I'm not sure where the switch fits in this..

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
avixcore said:
I've got the parts and stuff, and I know the pigtails (to MP3 player) connect to the Tel-IN points L&R, but where and how do I ground the switch to work?

I'm not sure where the switch fits in this..
If you have a 2 pin switch: Solder one wire to any ground point (the big green spaces) and the other end to the switch. Solder another wire from TEL-IN pin on the board to the other pin on the switch.
This shorts the TEL-IN to ground which makes the radio switch to TELEPHONE.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did the mod finally. After all my headache of wondering if I was gonna eff things up, it works. The sound is AWESOME, I have a creative nomad with EAX. If anyone has questions, I'd be happy as heck to answer them since I'm so jazzed up from not having to use CDs anymore!

-Avinash

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well , i am getting my infinity's in today/tomorrow for the viggen... maybe i will have to use my "skills" to do this mod too. Looks pretty simple, only thing is ... i will have to go to the dealership and make sure they have access to my radio code on file.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ok .. i got my speakers installed and all is happy.. but now... Ipod time!

I am wondering... i know the basics of what to do, and i am wondering just like avixcore was on how teh switch goes in? I am more visual here so if it is at all possible could someone use their "skills" in MSPaint to create a little diagram on what I need to do to setup the switch and the jack to work with the TEL-IN L/R points.

Thank you! (buying the parts today at work to hopfully do saturday morning before work)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, the switch for the TELEPHONE is easy. I used a SPDT Switch but basically solder the middle (COM) to the GROUND (A ground is ANY Spot which is connected to the bright silvery green area) and solder A or B to TELEPHONE MUTE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got mine done

I did mine a month or two ago using Seth's web site. It sounds great (Dell DJ) and having a convertable I love not having to keep CDs in the car. I have two recomendations

1) do the attach the switch first and then temperarly attach the radio back. This way you know that the switch works and can move onto the sound. If you do it the other way around (i.e. sound first) you do not know if it works until the switch is installed. Plus, the switch is easier to solder so, it gives you a chance to brush up on your skills

2) be very careful about soldering into the tel L & R. I acidenly got some on the radio points and it made the radio sound come out of only one side (however, the DJ came out of both). If you have this problem remove the solder and try again.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ok... from what I have read... is this diagram correct?

UPdate: Might have to delay my installation of this setup til after the weekend... my main desktop machines Hard Drive just died... (and i did not get to back it up.. :evil: ) so that is the top priority for a little while.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Correct sir. TelMUTE goes to A on switch and COM goes to ground. The stereo pair goes to Telephone in, and bingo..you're set.

·
Registered
633 Posts
anyone else find this out also? would not require must to change it (flip the wires on the stereo plug) but still.

Well , i am going to have to postpone my install to i think monday due to this loss of a computer HD... i get the fun of reinstalling everything! :)

1 - 20 of 108 Posts