SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to replace the P6000 on my 9-3 with either Bridgestone Potenza S03's or Goodyear Eagle F1's.
Has anyone got these on or had them and are they as good as the comparison test reports seem to say.................

or anyone got any other recommendations

Thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I do not know if the "Tire Rack" can help or

not - are these "all-season" or true summer tires ??

Kuhmo tires seem to be OK...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think their all season, the uk dosnt really go in for specific tyres for summer or winter (or though im sure we can get them if required) as the weathers not as extreme as you get in the states ..
it just gets a bit colder and wetter in winter so one set does us all year round

·
Registered
591 Posts
I remember Bridgestone advertising 5yrs/40000mls waranty for their tires. I was driving Potenza RE 720, but they were not 100% bingo, since mine started to pull to the right after about 5000 miles. Not sure though if same should happen to Pole Position 03, it's only common on tires with "directional" pattern. They have good balance between wear and grip (Bridgestone in general), but I would expect better grip from GY's!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info ...

ragtopcav
on a slightly different note, im just up the road from you - Leicester, have you got any Saab breakers / salvage down your way need a few bits and im not having much luck at the moment

cheers

·
12,576 Posts
andyz said:
Leicester, have you got any Saab breakers / salvage down your way need a few bits and im not having much luck at the moment
I've been told theres a Volvo/Saab breaker in Birmingham somewhere but I've never found the guy; I could do with finding one myself :roll: sorry cannot really help as it would be useful.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,

I don't rate P6000's at all, they don't last five minutes and make the car pull to one side, even after the tracking has been sorted. I'm using BF Goodrich at the moment and can say that they are as "sticky" as the P6000's, as to ware, I don't know as I've just had them fitted.
Andy

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
andyz said:
Im looking to replace the P6000 on my 9-3 with either Bridgestone Potenza S03's or Goodyear Eagle F1's.
Has anyone got these on or had them and are they as good as the comparison test reports seem to say.................

Thanks
Hi I have always used Uniroyal Rainsport 1 Directional.

Tread image

They rock. I am not interested in summer grip I want good wet and damp grip. The UK is just not dry enough for real slick tyres like F1's.

The Uniroyals throw water like I have never known. I'm on my 2nd set and they are wearing well. I drive my car hard and they give wicked grip. Much better than the P6000's that came with the car. They or something sim are used on the rear.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Both of your tire choices here are the 2 best ires i can think of.

General differences in the two brands is that the goodyear tend to be a little softer sidewall than the bridgestone's.

My personal choice would be the Bridgestones for a front wheel drive car, but you won't go wrong with either one.

Neither will last very long but you'll be spoiled by the performance. Just hope the wallet can keep up with replacements.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
As I'm looking for some summer tires too, I checked out the SAAB comments for both (tire rack is great for this by the way)

there are SEVERAL Viggen owner comments for the S-03's, and each one said that torque steer is virtually eliminated! I knew it was a good tire (I'VE even heard of it... and I'm not a really tire-knowledgeable guy) but that just seems like an outrageuos claim... why oh why must they be so expensive!! 170 bucks a tire:roll:

The Goodyears have some positive reviews from saab owners, but the Viggen guys didnt mention anything about torque steer, and given how much of a problem it is, I think they would if it was all but gone as S-03 drivers claim..

I'd say if you can afford it and want a great performance tire, the S-03's are a good choice. And then I'll turn green with envy when you buy them..

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Fast_Ed said:
there are SEVERAL Viggen owner comments for the S-03's, and each one said that torque steer is virtually eliminated! I knew it was a good tire (I'VE even heard of it... and I'm not a really tire-knowledgeable guy) but that just seems like an outrageuos claim... why oh why must they be so expensive!! 170 bucks a tire:roll:

The Goodyears have some positive reviews from saab owners, but the Viggen guys didnt mention anything about torque steer, and given how much of a problem it is, I think they would if it was all but gone as S-03 drivers claim
the best thing about the goodyears in my eyes is the price, and all around ability. also my friend with a 9-5 swears by them, he has 225/40-18 and they have kept him safely connected. for torque steer control id turn other places, like a rack clamp etc.
edit: the goodyears i speak of are eagle f1 gsd3

·
Registered
22 Posts
ihave have a set of bridgestone s03's and i would recommend them to all saab 93 & 900 drivers they are smooth long lasting good grip in wet or dry and the best thing is the quiteness when cruising. a nice smooth ride.

Recommend to all :D
andyz said:

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Silver-surfer

thats just the report im after I was torn between the two
the tests ive read have said the F1's are better in the wet (due to unique tread pattern) and the S03's better in the dry both similar in ride quality and quietness.
As summers coming up i was edging over to the S03's

Due mind telling me what you paid for them ive been quoted approx £90 each for the F1's which seems really good, not got a price for the S03's as yet

cheers

·
12,576 Posts
andyz said:
Due mind telling me what you paid for them ive been quoted approx £90 each for the F1's which seems really good,
Watch your load rating too, I assume you're after 215 45 17" , yes?

If so, at this size I found the 87w rated tyre at around £80 but really that is not 'man enough' for our cars and the little extra sidewall support you get from the 91y is worth the extra few quid.

May I also point you at yet another tyre? :cheesy:

Nokian Z, a Scandinavian 'summer' tyre [there summers are wetter than our Aprils apparently :eek: ]

www.mytyres.co.uk do these for £85 each, we have a lower model Nokian on the 9000, the build quality and mould alignment is beyond anything I 've ever seen before.

·
Registered
591 Posts
ragtopcav said:
Nokian Z, a Scandinavian 'summer' tyre [there summers are wetter than our Aprils apparently :eek: ]
Oh I wanted those sooooo much, but local dealer had only NRVi in 215/45/17! I have no experience on them, but I wouldn't look at anything else if I can get them... something is telling me these Scandinavians know exactly what they're doing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im actually on 205/50s on ZR16 and yes they look like toy car wheels in the wheel arches
cant afford new wheels as well as four tyres but was looking to get larger 205/55 if possible ?

The Nokians have a similiar pattern to the Bridgestones and ill certainly look into these

·
12,576 Posts
andyz said:
Im actually on 205/50s on ZR16 and yes they look like toy car wheels in the wheel arches
cant afford new wheels as well as four tyres but was looking to get larger 205/55 if possible ?

The Nokians have a similiar pattern to the Bridgestones and ill certainly look into these
I looked at mytyres and typed in 205-55 16" [x y z rating] and got the Nokians there at £65.80 each delivered, its just then getting them fitted; also those Nokians Z's at that size are XL 94W rating, that is seriously tough rubber, I've got some 16" wheels too, hmmm....

·
Registered
22 Posts
andyz said:
Thanks Silver-surfer

thats just the report im after I was torn between the two
the tests ive read have said the F1's are better in the wet (due to unique tread pattern) and the S03's better in the dry both similar in ride quality and quietness.
As summers coming up i was edging over to the S03's

Due mind telling me what you paid for them ive been quoted approx £90 each for the F1's which seems really good, not got a price for the S03's as yet

cheers
Bridgestones are truly a good tyre but they are pricey i was lucky enough to have bought the car with a fresh set of tires and 2 years on they have enough tread to last another year im sure, i use to own a volvo and had uniroyals on them and found them to be great so dont just go for the expensive f1 tires youve got a good price @ £90

1 - 20 of 22 Posts