SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geocities sites are gone now, and PMI's great postings went with them. There's a wiki that someone out there put up with several of PMI's writeups/pics/how-tos (http://www.saabwiki.info/index.php?title=NG900/9-3), but I don't see an A/C one...other than a recharge how-to.

Anyone?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got 'em both. Thanks.

Still looking for PMI's How-Tos. Anybody got them stored out there somewhere?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I'm not sure what you want to do with the A/C system, but A/C has been around for a long time, and operates pretty much the same. If you are looking for details of how all the units operate, there's a pretty good section in the WIS, in addition to all of the maintenance tasks that are in the WIS... Ron

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I think a lot of people are intimidated by the A/C system and shouldn't be. It's as straight forward as any system on the car and not difficult to work on. It's a sealed system so once you figure out what's broke, you replace it, flush the system, oil the compressor, pull a vacuum, charge the High side with liquid, crank it and charge the low side with R134a until it reaches proper pressure.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK...my bad. I thought there was. As I recalled, PMI was a bit of an A/C expert. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I appreciate all of the responses, and you're right. The A/C system is a closed system, so it should simply be a matter of having a shop recover the refrigerant and see where the leak was that claimed the life of the compressor. Hopefully, not all of the components are destroyed.

When I'm learning something new, I like to research it to death. That way, when I screw something up, I can at least know it wasn't out of ignorance.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have also been under the impression that when a compressor fails, it takes some of the other components with it. I was hoping to find a tutorial on how to check each component and determine it's salvagability (is that a word?).

Onward and upward.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
OK...my bad. I thought there was. As I recalled, PMI was a bit of an A/C expert. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I appreciate all of the responses, and you're right. The A/C system is a closed system, so it should simply be a matter of having a shop recover the refrigerant and see where the leak was that claimed the life of the compressor. Hopefully, not all of the components are destroyed.

When I'm learning something new, I like to research it to death. That way, when I screw something up, I can at least know it wasn't out of ignorance.
When I pulled my compressor I pulled it apart and was shocked by the number of plastic bits and garbage that was in the "nautilus". Once you open it you will see how it died, I promise. :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I pulled my compressor I pulled it apart and was shocked by the number of plastic bits and garbage that was in the "nautilus".
...which makes me wonder how much of this kind of debris can find it's way downstream into the condenser, jammed into the orifice or clogging up the drier. And if debris is jammed in there, how can I be sure I've gotten it all flushed out? I don't want to do this twice...them parts is 'spensive. Or do we just suck it up, get all new/remanned components and be 100% sure.

This question is the only one that is keeping us from plunging into this project.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
...which makes me wonder how much of this kind of debris can find it's way downstream into the condenser, jammed into the orifice or clogging up the drier. And if debris is jammed in there, how can I be sure I've gotten it all flushed out? I don't want to do this twice...them parts is 'spensive. Or do we just suck it up, get all new/remanned components and be 100% sure.

This question is the only one that is keeping us from plunging into this project.
Well, I think thats why they always recommend that you replace the expansion valve and dryer, then, while all of the lines are disconnected, FLUSH the rest of the system with A/C flush and compressed air. The lines in the condenser and evaporator are large enough to blow out. Flush it good and swap the other 2 components and you'll be fine...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a plan, Frank. Thanks for that.

Found a compressor (new Sanden 3211) from ACPartsHouse.com for $220. Think we're gonna give this a go shortly. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts