SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 99 9-5 with an MPS tune that is (apparently) 285hp? This whole time I've had it I thought it was 230hp...which brings me to one of my questions. I just discovered open SID today, and I'm getting a lot of "Miss" and "MiFi" which I imagine is misfires. Also, the mReq at higher revs gets to about 12-1300 and the mAir only goes to 800-900. I imagine that's I problem??

Lastly, is there a way to tell what stage I'm at through the SID?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mifi and Miss will gather a lot of number when you let off after a wot pull, the Mair should be fairly close to Mreq 100~ give or take, buy a new oem maf sensor should help, or try cleaning the stock one first. Throw some new plugs in bcpr-7es ( .9mm ) gap

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got new plugs in, seems to have helped. So the "miss" and "mifi" #s I've been getting are normal?? Also, is there any way I can get an idea of what stage tune I'm at? (Horsepower, torque)? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
401 Posts
Dyno it ask the tuner what they sent you its a stage 1 or 2 most likely, for stg 3 you need some hardware ie: down pipe, 3.5 bar fpr.

Like i said thoes numbers dont mean much my car would rack up 2-3 MiFi after a WOT let off it measures the amount of unburnt gas from the 02 to come up with that number.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
How many MiFi are you getting on a normal drive? In the hundreds is normal, thousands of them is NOT! You may need to consider a new DIC. Does the car show any codes (also visible in openSID)? Do you have any upgraded hardware in the car? A 99 would have the GT17 correct? 1200-1300mreq is a LOT for a stock 2.3t with GT17.

As far as what stage... what stage did you order??? As I always say, talk to your tuner!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If you go to stage 3 or beyond, be prepared to replace your plugs every year (with NGK BCPR7ES as Mopper stated). Being highly tuned has a price, and it eats through plugs faster. You'll know when you start to get missfires. My MiFi are down near zero (thanks, JZW!)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, to answer some of the questions here, the # of MiFis I've been seeing on say a 10 minute drive is in the 20s so I guess I won't worry about misfiring anymore!

I bought the car tuned, which all those involved (including seller) said the car was 230hp, in other words tuned to aero spec. It has the td04 obviously.

I've been talking to the tuner, and he seems convinced that he remembers the car being tuned to 285 according to his records. This is where I get concerned, because if this car is supposed to have 285hp something is pretty wrong...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, the only codes I've had were MAF sensor (replaced with a used one) and an evap leak which I traced back to being the purge valve (drive with it unplugged for a week and the only code that came up was purge valve being unplugged.

Once again, new plugs (BCPR7ES) and a known working DIC.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
If you are running 285hp, you should definitely know from several aftermarket parts, including a larger exhaust, etc.
Exactly, if it's just a TD04 and an ECU, no way you can get 285hp. 99 also has the tiny little inlet pipe to the turbo, pretty restrictive.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what would be the best RPM and/or speed to measure mReq and mAir?

And I seem to be getting mixed opinions. Miss and MiFi #s racking are normal seems to be the general consensus.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes both get racked up when you let off after a pull, some are normal an excessive amount is not so good. Any gear should be fine but 3-4 are the best like i said they need to be 100-150~ apart at most the closer the better. A used maf is not a solution they fade due to age buy a new one they are 100~ for an OEM brand new one one eeuro.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:suprised;
Yes both get racked up when you let off after a pull, some are normal an excessive amount is not so good. Any gear should be fine but 3-4 are the best like i said they need to be 100-150~ apart at most the closer the better. A used maf is not a solution they fade due to age buy a new one they are 100~ for an OEM brand new one one eeuro.
Ok. I also have an open air K&N Filter I imagine may be a little dirty as well but I'm afraid to oil it haha

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
clean it with water i always soak mine and let them dry, clean your maf sensor also with electric parts cleaner
Seems my mReq and mAir are off by about 200 at high revs. What would cause this other than the MAF sensor??

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Seems my mReq and mAir are off by about 200 at high revs. What would cause this other than the MAF sensor??
Well... if they are that far off, the first thing to do is replace the MAF with a NEW OEM unit. Not used.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
well... you said you are seeing request of 1300? And what do you have for supporting hardware/mods other than just the TD04? Do you have an upgraded exhaust and DP? And did you or the PO update the cobra pipe on your 99? You would be amazed to see the difference in size between the very early 99 pipe and the 00+ pipe, never mind the 06+ "king cobra" pipe.

1300 mreq is stage III levels. Most stage III tunes require 3" DP, free flowing exhaust, and a 3.5 bar FPR, all in addition to the TD04. If you don't have those things, you will never achieve that request as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts