SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm itching to get this damn catback installed on my Linear but nobody has the cutout in stock and Saab can't tell me when they're due back in! Is it worth the wait? Are there other materials that can make a cutout look good? Has anyone NOT used the decor kit (pics)?

What do people think about letting the muffler peak out below the rear apron on the SS? Has anyone done that?

Sorry for the multitude of questions, It's a combination of anxiousness and frustration! Who knew that a $40 piece of plastic would hold up a $300 catback install. Bah!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,945 Posts
Just a pre-emptive strike:
No selling in the forums. If you have one, PM Automaggot.

Automaggot: try putting a free want ad in the Classifieds section here at SC.
Genuine Saab has it for sale as well:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=219

PFS might have one lying around.

As for if you need it, I'm not sure not having done this (yet). I think you do need it just to protct the plastic from melting/discoloring.

I don't like the muffler peeking out below the apron. Looks like it doesn't belong there.

Patience. Do it right the first time. It will look better, and you'll feel better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
Automaggot said:
What do people think about letting the muffler peak out below the rear apron on the SS? Has anyone done that?
(sheepishly raising hand) .. my decor kit hadn't come in by the time I had my exhaust put on ...

If you want to make your car look very, very stupid, this is a good way to do so. I was so happy when the decor kit finally arrived ... the car looked much, much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Can't you do the cutout and add the decor kit later? Is the plastic really that much at risk without another piece for plastic protecting it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
jermichael said:
Can't you do the cutout and add the decor kit later? Is the plastic really that much at risk without another piece for plastic protecting it?
That's true. Isn't the cut out already marked on the otherside of the trim? Cut it and just wait for it to come in. It might look a little rough, but way better than hanging below!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
black_linear said:
That's true. Isn't the cut out already marked on the otherside of the trim? Cut it and just wait for it to come in. It might look a little rough, but way better than hanging below!
The bumper panel and trim piece are made of the same material, so there is no fire or melting risk. If anything, the trim piece will sit nearer the exhaust tip than the cut bumper would.
If you can't wait, do the cut out now. the trim piece is simply a finisher to hide any rough edges. If you trim the cut out carefully, it shouldnt look too bad. mine didn't.

I think theres a guy (singapore) who just did the cut out and didnt bother with the trim piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,945 Posts
Dave N said:
The bumper panel and trim piece are made of the same material, so there is no fire or melting risk. If anything, the trim piece will sit nearer the exhaust tip than the cut bumper would.
Thank you, I stand corrected. I assumed it was a higher heat-resistant plastic. But it it's the same, sure add it on later!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
I've got mine cut out, w/ no decor kit, and have had no problems. i think the kit allows for an 'unsteady hand' while cutting. and yes it looks nice, however, i don't think its neccecary in order to look good. ill post some pics in a little while.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top