SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting a whiff of a sulphur smell when I get out of the car these days, even though the temps have dropped around here. Also I had mentioned before on here that my car had been hesitating going up hills a while back. Is there a way I can determine if the cat is clogged?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I've been getting a whiff of a sulphur smell when I get out of the car these days, even though the temps have dropped around here. Also I had mentioned before on here that my car had been hesitating going up hills a while back. Is there a way I can determine if the cat is clogged?
One way is to look at the under side of the car after you have been driving it at night. The cat, if plugged should be glowing red hot. This is if it is plugged quite a bit. Not sure about only being plugged a bit.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Check with Nick at GS

At one time he rented pressure gauge set ups you could attach at the front O2 sensor port to measure back pressure. I rented one from him for my old 9-5 when I suspected the cat was plugging due to age & miles.

The tygon tubing melted (high pressure, not high temperature) but I was able to obtain some quick readings which confinrmed my suspicion before the tubing failed.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Per Magnaflow tech: Pressure reading with screw-in guage in place of OX sensor just before cat should not exceed 1.5 psi at 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
At one time he rented pressure gauge set ups you could attach at the front O2 sensor port to measure back pressure. I rented one from him for my old 9-5 when I suspected the cat was plugging due to age & miles.

The tygon tubing melted (high pressure, not high temperature) but I was able to obtain some quick readings which confinrmed my suspicion before the tubing failed.
Interesting info...how old was your 9-5 and how many miles did you have on it when you determined that the stock cat was bad?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Interesting info...how old was your 9-5 and how many miles did you have on it when you determined that the stock cat was bad?
If I remember correctly, I installed my 3-inch DP at ~245K miles. Which means I was North of 200K miles when I began noticing symptoms of what I thought might be a plugging converter. The back pressure measurement wasn't horrible but was high enough to indicate replacement would be necessary in the future.

I bought a used Chevy Beretta for the kids to drive when they were in High School. The converter plugged up on that car so bad it was barely driveable. The onset was very quick!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
If I remember correctly, I installed my 3-inch DP at ~245K miles. Which means I was North of 200K miles when I began noticing symptoms of what I thought might be a plugging converter. The back pressure measurement wasn't horrible but was high enough to indicate replacement would be necessary in the future.

I bought a used Chevy Beretta for the kids to drive when they were in High School. The converter plugged up on that car so bad it was barely driveable. The onset was very quick!
Thanks Roger..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts