SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUV-Car-Tr...773441&hash=item4d6217b726:g:7CoAAOSwqKNb9PFe

Looks like the pad will sorta rest on rear glass. Is that an issue and how to do these things fit on Saab wagon back???

All the examples show ain't quite like a Saab with its longer, flatter rear glass.

Why this method? I've got a mountain bike I'm using for my parking-garage to work-place 2 stage commute, so roof mounted is out due to 7ft limit.

It doable to toss the whole thing in back, but kinda awkward and it takes up the whole rear. I might end up installing a High-Security eye-bolt through the rear-hatch metal, if I want to leave the bike on and have it locked with at least a cable.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
I tried a proper Thule rack on the back of my NG900 and it never fit great. The problem seemed to be that the upper anchor straps were at a poor angle to keep the upper legs planted. As a result, the carrier would sway a lot.

If you're serious, I'd say find a junkyard Saab with a frame mounted receiver hitch and install it and use a hitch-mounted carrier (though they are heavy).

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Never used one, but I’ve broken a couple of rear windows (trying to remove glass-mounted wiper motors). Those two foam pads that rest on the glass - I’d replace with some foam pipe insulation, full length, to spread the load further. A fully weighted bike rack might over-stress the glass on bumps.

Doug

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried a proper Thule rack on the back of my NG900 and it never fit great. The problem seemed to be that the upper anchor straps were at a poor angle to keep the upper legs planted. As a result, the carrier would sway a lot.

If you're serious, I'd say find a junkyard Saab with a frame mounted receiver hitch and install it and use a hitch-mounted carrier (though they are heavy).

Is this what you calling "frame mounted" and how much a PIA to remove rear bumper?

I wouldn't mind getting hitch-carrier (I hear swing-away is the ONLY way to go, and IMO that would go double with a wagon-back Saab).

I'd also like a cargo-tray to haul a big not to heavy tool-box or messy stuff. Keeps things streamlined on long fast drives.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never used one, but I’ve broken a couple of rear windows (trying to remove glass-mounted wiper motors). Those two foam pads that rest on the glass - I’d replace with some foam pipe insulation, full length, to spread the load further. A fully weighted bike rack might over-stress the glass on bumps.

Doug

Yeah, I guess I'd buy a folding bike rather than bust the rear glass.

Is rear Saab glass laminated or did it break into thousands of little pieces all at once?

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
A frame-mount hitch designed for the NG900 does not require bumper removal. It's fiddly getting the nuts in the correct places within the frame rails.

Swing-away carriers can be quite heavy. Your car will have a nose-up attitude.

You might want to borrow a trunk-mount carrier and see how it works for you. Personally, I would not worry too much about breaking the glass, it's pretty tough. But if it happens, I'm in a different country, so good luck suing me! :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts