SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REALLY bring back my faded, rear-valence on my '05 Aero or do I just paint the thing? The PO had the bumper repainted, so asking the dealer for any type of warranty work isn't possible. Suggestions, opinions, and mockery are all welcome :cheesy: .

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I would just tape it off really well and spray with Rustoleum black and if it's not shiny enough for you spray a couple of coats of clear on top it. It will last much longer than any of the trim darkeners that are sold all over the place. In the next couple of weeks I'm going to take off my side trim and do the exact same thing to it. I've seen it done on a Volvo and it came out great. A light sand will help everything adhere better.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Painting can just lead to chipping. Especially with trim pieces if you are parking and get tapped, it will look like crap.

I use back to black. Take off the trim (It pulls off) and it will look much better. it does last quite a while. I did the same with the mirrors.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I've used this stuff by Wurth. It's made for black auto trim, and best of all is designed to flex with plastic to avoid peeling, cracking.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=SBP
Yup, that will work as well. Wurth makes some good products. I cleaned up a set of wheels with their silver wheel paint.

Painting can just lead to chipping. Especially with trim pieces if you are parking and get tapped, it will look like crap.

I use back to black. Take off the trim (It pulls off) and it will look much better. it does last quite a while. I did the same with the mirrors.
Uh, that not only goes for trim, but the rest of your car as well. If your front bumper gets hit it will look like crap as well. I can take some pictures of my friend's Volvo if you need them. It's been about four years since he painted them with the method I described and it still looks good. I didn't recommend him take that panel off because it's at the bottom of the car and he can tape the upper half and not get any overspray on the car. If it were the side trim I would definitely pull it off before painting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts