SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just got a 2002 saab 9-5 linear, and want to do some performance mods for it. I want to put in a performance air filter, and maybe a new muffler, but is there anything else that would give a nice sound to the car, or improve performance for <200$? And I don't want to tune the ecu yet, but maybe in under a year.

And also does anyone have a guide on how to put in a Performance air filter in a 2002 saab 9-5 or similar models? I found one before and after hours of searching I can't find it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Do you want to just put a new filter in, or are you planning on taking out the air box completely? New filter is just opening the air box in front of the passenger front tire and putting the filter in. Removing the air box and putting an open filter is a bit more extensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on taking the whole stock airbox out and replacing it with a nice K&N filter or something along those lines.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Skip the k&n and get a knockoff at your local autoparts store. It is the same product at half the cost. I used a spectre filter and Hydroshield water resistant pre-filter for my setup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am defiantly going to buy the hydroshield, but I might do a RAM intake and take out the whole airbox tubes and just build my own. I made a quick little design in photoshop of what it will look like if I decide to do it this way.

(Red is filter) (Black is tubing) (Grey is the oxygen sensor)

Attachments

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
I am defiantly going to buy the hydroshield, but I might do a RAM intake and take out the whole airbox tubes and just build my own. I made a quick little design in photoshop of what it will look like if I decide to do it this way.

(Red is filter) (Black is tubing) (Grey is the oxygen sensor)
ahaha more like paint :p but you should just reuse the stock rubber hose its in a great spot it barley gets wet and it really is a ram air intake because air feeds straight to it..

I have posted this video so many times but its a great example of how the filter looks and where it sits..

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you put the filter right there, you are asking for hot intake air. Most put the filter in the location of the old airbox to take advantage of cool air flowing in through the front bumper.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:nono;:nono;Tsss. Open airfilters are not really a performance mod. They sound faster than they go. You really want to do a < 200 USD performance mod? Buy a CAN-USB converter, and read the T7 suite tuning guide. That's your best shot for 'cheap' performance..... But don't over do it ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't want to tune the ecu yet, but maybe in under a year.
IMO, that is a smart move. Get to know your car before you start changing things. I have an 02 Linear now tuned to St.3 (with a GT17 still going strong at 147k), but I didn't do anything to it until I had it for a good five years. Not saying wait five years, I didn't touch it because it was under CPO warranty for most that time.

Customizing your car for under $200, a new muffler, or a resonator delete, or an open air filter will all give a bit of a different sound, making your car your own, but don't expect any real gains from those things. While the extra power is fun in the car, my favorite change has been the lowered and stiffened suspension (not under $200 though).

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Forget performance filters till you go for really big bhp. All show and no go. Get a stage 1/2 tune and enjoy your newly found 70 horses :)
This.

The intake system isn't very restrictive until you're trying to pump more air through it.

You'd do better saving up for a TD04HL-15T turbo from the Aero, and finding an Aero ECU. Luckily both are usually found together on wrecked Aeros ;)

·
Registered
685 Posts
IMO, that is a smart move. Get to know your car before you start changing things.
Not sure I understand the logic behind that. Your car will radically change when upping the performance to stage 1/2 so if you spend time "getting to know" your car in standard form you will have to do it all again with another 70 bhp on top.

If you just want to make it sound fast get a cheap and nasty cone filter and cold air feed and chop all the boxes from your exhaust and weld some scaffold bar or similar in its place. You'll sound awesome but get no where fast.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not sure I understand the logic behind that. Your car will radically change when upping the performance to stage 1/2 so if you spend time "getting to know" your car in standard form you will have to do it all again with another 70 bhp on top.
Throw any tune, on any car that you don't know enough about, and the tune may kill your car. Adjusting the power through an ECU tune doesn't change any of the hardware or built up problems, most of which affect the 2002 lpt (GT17 that has a reputation of failing relatively early, sludge built up in the engine, etc.). Gaining familiarity with the car and ensuring that it runs properly to begin with is probably the most logical thing you can do. Once the car is running in tip-top shape, tune as quickly as the budget will allow to enjoy the ever increasing gratification that accompanies tuning.

O.P. - Until you want to tune the ECU, the main other ways to adjust the actual performance are wheels, tires, suspension and brakes. Plenty of not in anyway performance related cosmetic changes are cheap: removing the orange reflective on the cornering lights, removing the 95 and 2.3t badges from the rear, replacing the most likely peeling or completely peeled Saab hood and trunk emblems, mesh on the front grill, buffing the headlights clear again, plastidip the front grill, aero front lip, paint side skirts and rear valence to match the car, etc. Someone on the forum will have probably done whatever you can think of so take a stroll through the forum for ideas.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I wouldnt have just bought a car I didn't have confidence in. Sump drop and recent and most up to date breather kit should be a pre requisite for anyone in the market for a 9-5. There are thousands of folk running various favours of tune through their b2x5 t7 engines without problem.

Wheels, tyres, suspension and brakes will cost well in excess of 200 bucks.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Yep, even the spensive DC area junkyards only charge $52 per turbo.

And I also vote delete center resonator. I put a fancy bsr dual exhaust on my wagon and it is almost as quiet as stock.

Did anybody mention T5 cams? Camshafts from a 94-99 900 or 9-3 or similar year 9000.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Open filters provide no performance gain until the oem box becomes a bottleneck. So, until you are pushing more hp than is reasonable, open filters don't really help. That said, I love the sound. On more than one occasion i been driving across town and scared the crap out of a nearby sports car with my recirc valve. It has even gotten me some respect from a couple mustang owners.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Open filters provide no performance gain until the oem box becomes a bottleneck. So, until you are pushing more hp than is reasonable, open filters don't really help. That said, I love the sound. On more than one occasion i been driving across town and scared the crap out of a nearby sports car with my recirc valve. It has even gotten me some respect from a couple mustang owners.
Is the recirc valve like a blow off valve?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
9 Participants
Numberwang
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing