SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I was just wondering if anyone had hear anything new about the replacement for the 9-5?
Eg release date, new technology it might have, innovations we might expect etc?

M

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Are you kidding, it has only been running for 10 years:lol:

·
Registered
302 Posts
2010 model
bigger
AWD
300 HP (possible twin turbo 6)
expect at least 5 - 6k increase in base price alone, easily will hit US 50k mark.
SAAB is going after 5 series, A6, and E class more aggressively.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
For that kind of increase in price i would expect one hell of a car.
Although i am curios how they are expecting to comply with the EEC emissions laws coming into force soon.

M

·
Registered
850 Posts
As I know it will be launched the next year as MY2009 model.

regards

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
If this 2009 Saab 9-5 is to be "all-new", then there should be a Cadillac based on it -a bit less power, softer ride, more luxurious - to compete against Mercedes,Lexus..

With one goal , the new standard of the world - the new Caddy - based on a Saab.
What would Dick Grossman think ??

·
Registered
850 Posts
well.....Cadillac it has its new CTS, launched recently and with an all new 2.8 diesel engine for europe, developed with VM Motori and GMPowertrain Turin.

Let's see what happens with its sales in Europe.

regards

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
earthworm said:
If this 2009 Saab 9-5 is to be "all-new", then there should be a Cadillac based on it -a bit less power, softer ride, more luxurious - to compete against Mercedes,Lexus..

With one goal , the new standard of the world - the new Caddy - based on a Saab.
Like the BLS, y'mean? Saab 93ss with Caddy badges. Sold so well they're quietly dropping it already. Don't think they've even hit 50 sales in the UK, and they're still trying to punt out 2006 stock... The only one I've seen was a rental.

What would Dick Grossman think ??
Who?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

Are we likely to see the engine bay packed with engine efficiency improvements such as the much rumoured Electrical asist turbo. Variable valve technology etc?

Mike

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Madmickey said:
Hi

Are we likely to see the engine bay packed with engine efficiency improvements such as the much rumoured Electrical asist turbo. Variable valve technology etc?

Mike
Anythings possible ;)...

We didnt even get good info about the facelifted 9-3 and power specs of the black turbo until a few months before launch, dont expect much for detail till late spring 2008

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
edusaab said:
well.....Cadillac it has its new CTS, launched recently and with an all new 2.8 diesel engine for europe, developed with VM Motori and GMPowertrain Turin.

Let's see what happens with its sales in Europe.

regards
Oh, yes F.I.A.T. 's really wonderful diesel, but detuned from the version they are using in F.I.A.T's cars and trucks.:lol:

·
Registered
850 Posts
I prefer not to explain anything about Diesel engines......here in Spain about 80% of sales of Saabs are for the Diesel engines, and in general about 60-70% of total sales of the market are for Diesel engines.

If you take a look at the reliability of those diesel engines of everybrand its........

taking a look at the new BMW 320d, buuuuuuuuffffffff.....and the 2.0TDI of VAG, and the 1.9TID of GM/Fiat powertrain(one of the most reliable, but the particle filter and the valve system that permits the engine to work as 8v or 16v are the biggest issues), and so.......

but I must recognize that when those engines work well, those are great performes for those who do a lot of miles.

regards

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just glad to see AWD or should I sway xwd in the 9-5 future.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
If they truly ARE going after the A6, E-class and 5-series (as well as the infiniti M and lexus GS cars), they will need a "halo" engine with ~350 hp to go up against the M45, GS460, E500, 550i, and A6 4.2. I'm itching with excitement thinking about what this powerplant might end up being. I would love to see a low-pressure turbo version of the new cts engine, and a turbo 6 instead of an NA v8 would be a great way to make a statement about what saab stands for. Combine it with XWD in a aero-x looking sedan or 5-door hatch and I think they'd have a winner, especially if they bring biopower stateside.

It also allows GM to build a LS or northstar-equipped cts without having two cars that are carbon copies of each other.

·
Registered
63 Posts
SaabKen said:
My guess is it will feature some variation of the GM 3.6L V6, maybe twin-turbo'd :)
Honestly, I think a TT 3.6L would be a little overkill -- unless its purpose is for spool characteristics only.

In the U.S., I'd like to see the 2.8T as the base engine (280HP), followed by an NA, direct-injection 3.6L (300-320HP) for the mid-range, and then a single-turbo, DI 3.6L (330-380HP) for the top of the range, Aero version. XWD should only be an option on the upper trim levels, and they'd BETTER include a 6-speed manual transmission... :evil: :cheesy:

Here are the major competitors (as I see it):

Acura RL (2008): 290HP V6; AWD; $53,000
Audi A6 4.2 (2008): 350HP V8; AWD; $55,000
BMW 550 (2008): 360HP V8; RWD; $58,000
Infiniti M45x (2008): 325HP V8; AWD; $50,000
Lexus GS460 (2008): 342HP V8; RWD; $53,000
Mercedes-Benz E550 (2008): 382HP V8; AWD; $60,000
Volvo S80 V8 (2008): 311HP V8; AWD; $49,000

These are the top-of-the-line models from the manufacturers that the 9-5 Aero should be competing with. If SAAB can offer a high-quality, AWD, 380HP, mid-sized sedan, and keep it relatively close to its current price... they should mop the floor with these guys.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Interesting list. From what I've read, the RL has been slow to get out of dealers lots, and the GS hasn't won too many car mags' hearts. More interesting is they both are rated under the 300HP mark, surprisingly the GS's 4.3L V8 is not cranking out nearly as much bhp/liter as it could be.

WetLlama said:
Honestly, I think a TT 3.6L would be a little overkill -- unless its purpose is for spool characteristics only.

In the U.S., I'd like to see the 2.8T as the base engine (280HP), followed by an NA, direct-injection 3.6L (300-320HP) for the mid-range, and then a single-turbo, DI 3.6L (330-380HP) for the top of the range, Aero version. XWD should only be an option on the upper trim levels, and they'd BETTER include a 6-speed manual transmission... :evil: :cheesy:

Here are the major competitors (as I see it):

Acura RL (2008): 290HP V6; AWD; $53,000
Audi A6 (2008): 350HP V8; AWD; $55,000
BMW 550 (2008): 360HP V8; RWD; $58,000
Infiniti M45 (2007): 325HP V8; RWD; $50,000
Lexus GS 430 (2007): 290HP V8; RWD; $54,000
Mercedes-Benz E550 (2008): 382HP V8; AWD; $60,000
Volvo S80 (2008): 311HP V8; AWD; $49,000

These are the top-of-the-line models from the manufacturers that the 9-5 Aero should be competing with. If SAAB can offer a high-quality, AWD, 380HP, mid-sized sedan, and keep it relatively close to its current price... they should mop the floor with these guys.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
SaabKen said:
Interesting list. From what I've read, the RL has been slow to get out of dealers lots, and the GS hasn't won too many car mags' hearts. More interesting is they both are rated under the 300HP mark, surprisingly the GS's 4.3L V8 is not cranking out nearly as much bhp/liter as it could be.
that's why lexus shoehorned the LS460 engine into the GS...

·
Registered
63 Posts
ACBarnett said:
that's why lexus shoehorned the LS460 engine into the GS...
Wow, you're right... my trusty car site didn't have the 2008 GS460 listed, but Edmunds does. Interesting. Also to note, for 2008 the Infiniti M45 gets an AWD variant.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts