SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious is anyone has spotted an iPod integrator that works for the 95. The tape adapter just simply stinks. If one could just pull the leads off the pins that control the 6 disc changer, at least we could patch the sound through...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tape playback connection

It's possible to make aux connection to tape player. Just use Search to find treads about it. Just made mine. It works but I need to put a cassette to make it work. I connected shielded cables as described on photo:

http://picasaweb.google.fi/sefotec1200/SaabAS2/photo#5121618176656482098

I would be very keen on seeing schematics of Pioneer FX-M2016 to be able to connect signal to radio signal path thus eliminating using cassette.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Teckniec1999 9-5V6 said:
Thats alot of work I'd be worried I'd mess up my whole unit
isn't there a set of pins for a CD changer?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, i looked at the HU and there's no changer button, but I thought it was an option. how does the OEM HU know that you want to switch from in-cash to changer?

there must be a very simple way. the tape player trick looks clever, but involves way too much soldering and splicing on the board to make it practical for most people.

·
Registered
350 Posts
baco99 said:
isn't there a set of pins for a CD changer?
There should be my car has a cd changer in it. My old car I had a ipod adapter that played threw the cd changer port and it worked "Very" well. If I could find something like that for my saab I would be so happy. I don't really use the cd changer anyway.

baco99 said:
OK, i looked at the HU and there's no changer button, but I thought it was an option. how does the OEM HU know that you want to switch from in-cash to changer?

there must be a very simple way. the tape player trick looks clever, but involves way too much soldering and splicing on the board to make it practical for most people.

On mine the changer button is the same as the CD button I just hit it twice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
SaabScott said:
Or you could just go here and follow the directions ... it works great! :cool:

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20061126.Saab_9-5_Line_Input/
But you still run those deck motors! And if you solder that way your player you couldn't play tapes anymore. So I still think the best solution is to tap radio, no motors no load switches. HU utilizes SN761025 volume control circuit but i haven't found data sheet for it. HU schematics still on hunt. Radio signal can be found on that IC but i didn't dare to solder anything there.

Regards

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
sefo said:
But you still run those deck motors! And if you solder that way your player you couldn't play tapes anymore.

The tape deck works just fine if you put a tape in it ... but who uses tapes anymore?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SaabScott said:
The tape deck works just fine if you put a tape in it ... but who uses tapes anymore?
is there a radio schematic around anywhere that shows the pin-outs for the CD changer? i'm assuming, but i don't know, that you hit CD twice to switch to the changer...?

it should be as simple as sending power to a "remote" lead on the pin-out that signals that the CD changer is active and plugged in, then that allows the CD button to switch between the two devices. this should be easy to replicate for the iPod without removing any boards from the HU.

You won't get the screen to show what's playing, but that is secondary to sound quality IMO.

·
Registered
800 Posts
SaabScott said:
this is exactly why my tape deck has a tape adapter "permanently" inserted in there. for a stealth look (no wires out front) i took out the radio, took off the face plate, put the tape adapter in, put the face plate back on, routed the plug and wires behind the radio/dash, and the plug that goes into the mp3 player now comes out through a hole in the back of the coin holder.

personally i find the sound quality is very good using the tape adapter method, as long as the mp3 quality is up to snuff. having an mp3 player with a built in EQ also helps in my case. i've found very little difference between the CD and the mp3 player audio quality. at very low volume i can hear the tape adapter turning, but at normal volume it's inaudible.

the soldering method is an option, but the effort is more than i'm willing to give considering how well the tape thing worked out. it would be nice if someone could develop an easier way to have a true aux-in though. until then i'll stick to my old school tape adpapter. :lol:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i definitely hear the difference between the tape adapter/iPod and the CD player. if the iPod were connected with a standard audio input the quality would be much improved. tape players only have bandwidth from 50-15k Hz, so you're missing much of the bass that you get from CDs at a standard 20-20k Hz.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
baco99 said:
is there a radio schematic around anywhere that shows the pin-outs for the CD changer? i'm assuming, but i don't know, that you hit CD twice to switch to the changer...?

it should be as simple as sending power to a "remote" lead on the pin-out that signals that the CD changer is active and plugged in, then that allows the CD button to switch between the two devices. this should be easy to replicate for the iPod without removing any boards from the HU.

You won't get the screen to show what's playing, but that is secondary to sound quality IMO.
I like this idea. You can use the audio outputs on the Cahnger leads to attach teh Ipod audio to... hmmm. I have a changer in the Viggen. I might just pull it and play around a bit...

·
Registered
800 Posts
baco99 said:
i definitely hear the difference between the tape adapter/iPod and the CD player. if the iPod were connected with a standard audio input the quality would be much improved. tape players only have bandwidth from 50-15k Hz, so you're missing much of the bass that you get from CDs at a standard 20-20k Hz.
imo, ipods have sub par fidelity from the start. compared to my tx (with aeroplayer) its like listening with ipod earbuds and then putting on a set of grado cans. ...well not exactly but close. :p

and most people can only hear sounds between 50-15 Hz anway, which is also the range of most music. plus you're in a car, so telling difference in sound outside of those frequencies are unlikely due to ambient noise.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
B~P said:
imo, ipods have sub par fidelity from the start. compared to my tx (with aeroplayer) its like listening with ipod earbuds and then putting on a set of grado cans. ...well not exactly but close. :p

and most people can only hear sounds between 50-15 Hz anway, which is also the range of most music. plus you're in a car, so telling difference in sound outside of those frequencies are unlikely due to ambient noise.

bah, more bandwidth is better. tape deck start to fall off in advance of 50 Hz and 15kHz. they are usually +/-10dB in cars, so even at 50 Hz, you're probably still only getting 50-70% of the volume of those available frequencies. At least with a better range, the more audible spectrum will come in clearer and will less chance of falling off.

·
Registered
350 Posts
baco99 said:
Yup using my tape adapter on my ipod looses some bass compared to using a burnt cd. Also it makes a hissing noise sometimes that make my music sound like it coming from a $5 speaker.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
sethsev7n said:
Any updates with the Granite Embedded System?
Still waiting for my unit to be repaired! :cry:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we deserve better sound!

·
Registered
350 Posts
baco99 said:
we deserve better sound!
I'm considering replacing my head unit but I like my interior to look stock so I'm not to thrilled about the idea but I have good aftermarket speakers (Infinity Kappa's) and I feel they are going to waste.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts