SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Saab has improved/changed anything in this car since it's introduction in 2003? I saw a new 9-3 today and it was identical to my 2003 in every way possible (except faded door handles).

Just wondering...

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Improvements - I don't know..
Those who have bought later models than us have seen the little goodies that were standard for us disappearing. There are several threads here about GM making economies and consequently some of our good gadgets have gone.
Improvements? How to improve a '03 9-3SS without going by Stage 1... ?
The car is excellent.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scary

So saab has basically taken content away from this car since 03, except for the addition of moving the cruise conrol indicator to a different place and one switch?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Deletes to add 04 to 05:

05 No tire pressure monitors
05 Aero No 6-speed manual, only 5-speed (USA only?)
05 No On-Star

These really add up....I figure around $2000 less stuff on the 05 Aero vs 04, but the price on the 05's in the USA were slightly reduced.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Thanks rdj92807! The list goes on... :roll:

Irishfred, that list doesn't totally answer your question. Yes, these things have been taken out, but other things in the car have been made better. 2005s don't stall & die in the middle of the freeway, or have fading door handles, or all the other teething problems the 2003s & some 2004s have. Gotta take your good with the bad.

EDIT: My list is incomplete now that I look at it. Aux-in (for al but Linear) and navigation are added for 2005. I fixed it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Apparently and if I remember correctly, the side impact 'best rating' that the 93 has received only counts for cars built in I believe it was 2004 onward. So, there must have been a structural improvement implemented to better handle side impacts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
finwake said:
Apparently and if I remember correctly, the side impact 'best rating' that the 93 has received only counts for cars built in I believe it was 2004 onward. So, there must have been a structural improvement implemented to better handle side impacts
I'd love to include that. Can you find the article? I looked and only found this:
http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/about/pr_041020.jsp
and it keeps going on about the 2003 version.

·
Registered
353 Posts
finwake said:
Viscouse said:
I'd love to include that. Can you find the article? I looked and only found this:
http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/about/pr_041020.jsp
and it keeps going on about the 2003 version.

Here is the link to the Press Release for the Saab 93 selection as a rare 'Double Best Pick' by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
http://www.hwysafety.org/news%5Freleases/2004/pr100304.htm

Here is the relevant quote on the improvement to the car:
"All 9-3s built after December 2003 have been modified to improve occupant protection in side impacts."

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Thanks for the research finwake!
I'll file this under the 03-04 changes.

Here's the previous thread that talks about this: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36566

I don't know exactly what changed, but I'm sure that it doesn't mean pre-12/03 cars are less safe, as they still scored high in EuroNCAP's side-impact tests.
Since it was done by an organization catering to the Insurance community, it probably only means that 2003s will get different rates than 2004/5s. :roll: :cheesy:

·
Registered
635 Posts
reminds me of those giant guages people got in the A pillar flashing lights (lookin like a techno club) non stop to tell them to shift...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts