SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering whether anyone has any ideas of what to do if coolant is leaking, there is a smell of burnt gas upon starting the car and clicking coming from the engine (the oil level is fine and the oil itself has been there for less than 1k miles). I've seen threads about 2004 models, which mine is one of, getting new engines, gearboxes and the such but so far that hasn't happened. This time will be the 5th going in for the coolant problem and the 3rd for clicking. Luckily only the first for a burnt gas smell flowing in through the vents.

I'm all ears if anyone can describe some course of action to get this fixed, I wouldn't want to end up buying some Japanese car because of their supposed reliability but at the same time hate driving it.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
By "smell of burnt gas" do you mean exhaust, or something else?
Describe the clicking more. Present at startup? Always present?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh by smell of burnt gas I mean inside the car, starting it with all windows closed and independent of whether airconditioning is on or off. As for the clicking, it seems to come from the top of the engine and stops after a while when the car has warmed up. It sounds as if the tappets are goners but the lifters have been replaced and I imagine tappets would've been included in that.

I'll be happy to give you any other information, thanks for helping me!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hearing the sound some more today, I think it sounds like a tugboat or an automotive diesel of yore. Checked the oil level again and it's somewhere toward the top of the supposedly correct range on the stick.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would go straight to the dealer. Anytime a gas engine sounds like a diesel, it's not good news. Is there oil pressure? it sounds like oil isn't getting to the top of your engine. Vavle tapping can and will lead to engine failure in a short time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts