SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My 1984 GL now appears to be killing batteries or flattening them at least.

A while back my battery was flat, AA man jump started it and checked the alternator which was charging but then it went flat again soon afterwards (after a good long run).

I bought a charger connected it to the battery and it showed reverse polarity then the charger promptly blew up:roll: ! I had connected it correctly! Got a new charger which managed to charge the battery but it went flat again shortly afterwards:evil: . The battery wasn't too old but I decided to get a brand spanker from Halfords. This worked well for two weeks but is now flat. The problem is it won't now take any charge and is also showing reverse polarity.

Has anyone had a similar problem, it could be an earth leak from my dodgy radio installation which I must sort out but that wouldn't explain the reverse polarity light on the charger which is either a dead battery or reverse polarity. This is of course even when poles are correctly wired up.

How come my new battery won't take any charge..?

Could my alternator be overcharging the batteries and blowing them up and has anyone else had similar probs?

Any help most welcome.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but my 99T had a similar problem when I first had it and no matter what was done over the next few years nothing corrected it. The battery would go flat without any warning. after much checking and replacing of batteriesit was found there was a soldering(?) fault in a plate in the alternator. I think it didn't make a complete circuit, hence lack of charge. Might be worth tring to borrow an alternator to see if it makes a difference?

Sorry it's not more specific but we are talking almost twenty years ago.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I think with a fault like that it's best to start with having the alternator checked at an auto electrics shop, they normally test them for free, at worst a few pounds. Just tell them what has been happening. The electrics on a 99 are not it's most endearing feature!

·
Registered
815 Posts
As I read your post I was thinking alternator too. Been through a few of them in other brands, though none in my 99. As I'm a mechanical dimwit, I wasn't going to say anything, but as others have spoken in the same manner I'll proclaim loudly - GO GET YOUR ALTERNATOR CHECKED ;)

I feel so smart now. Hope it works out (cheaply)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts