SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 litre 900 V6 convertible, automatic, Dec. '96, and was considering upgrading to a 9.3 aero or Viggen, which I could probably get here in the UK for about £7000, with 70-80k mileage. The problem is, when I looked around at prices for cars similar to mine, they seem to be worth no more than about £3000 even in top condition! I got to thinking why I should spend another 4 grand, to get basically the same shape car, but with more depreciation! Much as I would love the oomph of a Viggen, I'm getting too old for traffic-light Grands-prix, but I would like to make the most of any mild performance tweaks which could be done without sacrificing torque or crippling me financially.
I decided that with only 63k on the clock (i've owned it since it had 17k), I know it has been looked after, I may as well spend a bit on it and make it into a car to keep another 2 or 3 years, but there seems to be a limited amount of info. about what can be done with the V6.
I have changed to 17" Super Aero alloys with 225/45/17" tyres, and plan to change the tyres to 215/40 section to slightly lower the gearing -any suggestions as to whether this is wise? My reasoning is the gearing is 3% too high now, and new tyres will make it 1% too low, which will help acceleration, but will it spoil the ride?
Also, I would like to fit a 6-point chassis bracing kit, but apparently they don't fit the V6, can anyone tell me why, and if there is one which will fit?
I'm considering converting to LPG sequential injection, if I do this could I get rid of the catalytic converter, and what, if any, power increase could I expect?
I am also considering a double-din in-dash DVD/sat. nav and upgrading the hi-fi. can the steering wheel with radio controls be adapted to my wiring for my stereo?
I have just bought some Iridium park plugs and a K& N air filter, but haven't got round to fitting them yet!
I wonder if anyone could help with these or any other suggestions to make my car as good as it can be?
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
713 Posts
for better handling, deffinatly go with the rear subframe brace, i have mine on order at the moment, that will help especially for the vert'. you can get a catback exhaust for better flow and sound. genuinesaab.com makes one called the saab sport, amazing sound quality. as for performance. these cars arnt tuners, you will have a very difficult time finding performance adders. the most you can do with out breaking a budget is what you have alredy done. the only other thing to gain power is to drop in a 3.0 or 3.2 or just swap out camshafts from a 3.0 to gain like 20ish hp.idk thats about all i got... im not sure about tha 6pt brace tho, im curious why that doesnt fit as well. the sterio slot isnt exactly double din also. its around one and a half. although some people on here have mannaged to scrape out plastic to make one fit. the only other major thing to have checked is the timing belt. figure out when it ws last replaced. and replace if needed!!!! that should be #1. other than that, have some fun with the car!, post some pics if ya could.
Tyler

·
Registered
523 Posts
If your going to stick with the V6 there's not a lot you can do to increase the power output.

The 3.0 litre cams will give 15 bhp, superchips will give you another 12 with there chip set,after that its small increases from the throttle body and lower manifold(have a look at Courtenay sports site) i can recommend their 4 bar fuel regulator if used with a clean set of injectors the pick up from the engine is much better than standard.

The six point brace wont fit but Abbott racings two point will if given a small mod to drop it a few millimeters lower, i've got one on mine and if used with the uprated rear anti roll bar the difference is amazing.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd think twice about taking the cat off a 2.5, if it's removed from any of the Vauxhalls with the same engine there's a small gain in power but a large drop in torque.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your tips, I still don't understand WHY the 6-point chassis brace doesn't fit the V6, what is different apart from access to the engine sump, maybe? surely the actual mounting points are the same?:confused:
Oh, I forgot, it has one of those "get 15-20 bhp for free" sensors attached to the airflow meter! I don't know if it adds much but it seems to do something! Allegedly , it fools the ECU into thinking the incoming air is cold, and increases fuel delivery accordingly. - and it has an "Ecoflow" magnet, which is supposed to increase power and improve combustion by rearranging the fuel molecules immediately before combustion to save up to 20% on fuel - If you believe that you'll believe anything, it's a wonder the thing doesn't take off and fly round the country - on one tankfull!:lol: Seriously, though, does anyone have an opinion on tyre sizes on 17" wheels, it is on 225/70's off a 9.5 Aero, and seems happy enough, although it is apparently over-geared by about 3% compared with the 195/60/15 it was running before. I would like to know if going to a 40-series tyre will affect the firmness of the ride too much, I must admit the ride is absolutely fine on the current tyres, and i'm tempted to live with these for a while and monitor how it affects economy and performance etc. any help appreciated!

·
Registered
523 Posts
The brace won't fit because of the difference in the depth of the oil pan on the engine.I think Raggy had one to go on his old V6 but after trying,opted for the Abbott twin brace which still needed a bit of work before fitting (thats the one thats currently on my car) it does reduce the ride height a little but never grounds out.
I'm not sure about the tyre size,if you're happy with the ride why change?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Actually the clearance of the 6 point only becomes a problem only on the 96-97 OBD2 cars since they changed the front exhaust pipe and put a low loop on the RH side of the rear bank. The earlier cars are not a problem. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
NickTaliaferro said:
Actually the clearance of the 6 point only becomes a problem only on the 96-97 OBD2 cars since they changed the front exhaust pipe and put a low loop on the RH side of the rear bank. The earlier cars are not a problem. ;)
It was a taliaferro 6 point brace that wouldn't go on my 1994 V6, nothing to do with the rear head's downpipe, it was the front pipe that sits further over and lower down that caused the obstruction; hence the Abbott brace went back on.

That 6 point then ended up on my 2.3 N/A convertible.

Comment made here as it goes.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
loleddie said:
so where can you get the 3.0 cams from and how hard r they to put in?
What you're looking for are G cams, these are the inlet cams fitted to the 3.0 engine fitted in the likes of a Saab 9000 V6, 9-5V6 or a Cadillac Catera V6; fitting these in place of the 2.5's inlet cams yields between 10-15bhp. You need to be able to strip out the timing gear to be able to handle the job.

·
Registered
713 Posts
ragtopcav said:
What you're looking for are G cams, these are the inlet cams fitted to the 3.0 engine fitted in the likes of a Saab 9000 V6, 9-5V6 or a Cadillac Catera V6; fitting these in place of the 2.5's inlet cams yields between 10-15bhp. You need to be able to strip out the timing gear to be able to handle the job.
along with this make sure if you get the ones off a Cadillac Catera V6 make sure its the sport model. the standard model has the same cams that are in our motors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts