SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear all these stories about cracked pistons and I was wondering if anyone out there has had a problem free Viggen. I would like to move up to stg 3 soon but am afraid of doing so without switching to forged pistons. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
there have been a few discussions about the benefit of forged pistons, and about the strength of the viggen pistons. a search will help you out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After reading the thread you led me to (thanks) I dont know if I need to. I was thinking preventative maintenance but maybe I just need to spend the money on a good intercooler instead. I was looking at the JE or Wossner pistons but I guess Ill just baby my car and hope for the best. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
yeah forged are a bit too excessive at stage 3 levels, itll be a while before i start doing power mods, but i am eager to hear your results.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
lemonscu, I'd just wait and see what happens. If you have a problem, then replace them. If you know you're going to want to go past the standard Stage III, then that is a different story.

What mileage are you at now? Are you the original owner? Do you baby your car? Or work it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car was an ebay buy and I dont have any history for it. It has 55k and I dont ever plan on getting rid of it. I do want to go to stg 4 but plan on going w/ stg 3 first. I baby my car in the sence that I replace the oil every 3k mi.wash it almost as much as I wash myself, and only use 93 oct. I use full synthetic and I know 3k may be excessive but I feel better about it. My c900t16 has 300k and I stick to 3k mi intervals. I like to run the car hard( it is a Viggen) on twisties for sure but stop light to stop light is not a regular thing. I tend to really hammer on it when getting on the highway, and I do this everyday as much as I can. :D I like to take it to redline now and again but try to limit myself for fear of doing harm. I just hope Im not one of the unlucky ones who has piston failure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts