SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I feel bad posting this considering the glut of posts on wheel sizes, dimensions, colours and offsets....

but, I'm seeing these rims advertised used for $210 without usable tires.
American Racing Rogue. They will need a bit of work but my question is .....is it worth fitting a wheel that is 18x8.5.
Most sentiments say 8" is the widest to go, others seem to get away with 9" without rolling fenders etc.

It is for an MY01 Aero Wagon that currently runs 16" Saab wheels and I fancied putting winters on the 16's and some nice all season rubber on the 18's. However, I don't want to sacrifice handling.....what I am after is a pretty looking set of 3 season wheels.

If the consensus is that 18x8.5 will fit without detriment then I will go for it but if there are reservations then I'll hang fast until I see a set of 17s.

My other consideration is New England roads (that should read cratered tracks)....is anyone finding an 18" wheel just too jarring a rid for that area - fellow Noreaster's?????

thanks in advance and apologies this topic has been done to death - I just didn't see references to ride quality/fit on an 18x8.5....is someone knows a thread, please, send me the link.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you're worried about ride quality, I probably wouldn't go with 18's. You need a very low-profile tire, which means less sidewall to absorb our lovely roads around here.

$200 seems like an awesome price for the rims, though. Where'd you find them, and what do you mean that they need work?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Well it might be tough getting away with an 8.5 with no fender roll at all. i'm getting 235 tires fitted soon and i will likely already have to roll the fender with an 8 inch wide wheel 17''.

rolling the fender, as im told, is not very hard at all though. so if you want those wheels- I'd say go for them and just roll the fender anyway.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I ran BBS 18's and teh ride was exceelnt but I had rubbing not on teh fender but the innner plastic at times, it annouyed me so I sold them

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well it might be tough getting away with an 8.5 with no fender roll at all. i'm getting 235 tires fitted soon and i will likely already have to roll the fender with an 8 inch wide wheel 17''.

rolling the fender, as im told, is not very hard at all though. so if you want those wheels- I'd say go for them and just roll the fender anyway.
what is rolling fenders?

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
OK, I feel bad posting this considering the glut of posts on wheel sizes, dimensions, colours and offsets....

but, I'm seeing these rims advertised used for $210 without usable tires.
American Racing Rogue. They will need a bit of work but my question is .....is it worth fitting a wheel that is 18x8.5.
Most sentiments say 8" is the widest to go, others seem to get away with 9" without rolling fenders etc.

It is for an MY01 Aero Wagon that currently runs 16" Saab wheels and I fancied putting winters on the 16's and some nice all season rubber on the 18's. However, I don't want to sacrifice handling.....what I am after is a pretty looking set of 3 season wheels.

If the consensus is that 18x8.5 will fit without detriment then I will go for it but if there are reservations then I'll hang fast until I see a set of 17s.

My other consideration is New England roads (that should read cratered tracks)....is anyone finding an 18" wheel just too jarring a rid for that area - fellow Noreaster's?????

thanks in advance and apologies this topic has been done to death - I just didn't see references to ride quality/fit on an 18x8.5....is someone knows a thread, please, send me the link.
As far as I know those wheels are boat anchor heavy, so that would kill them for me, am I wrong ?

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
what is rolling fenders?
Inside the fender there is usually extra metal around the wheel arch that can rub wider tires, "rolling" that metal in allows more room, and less change of tire damage, as well as damage to the car.

22.8 LBS for 17" or 18", big difference !!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe they are 22.8Ibs......
I don't know what other wheels weigh?
Is this a heavy wheel for the size?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I believe they are 22.8Ibs......
I don't know what other wheels weigh?
Is this a heavy wheel for the size?
not super heavy....but heavy compared to other wheels. super light weight for that size would probably be about 15-16lbs. but when you factor in all four wheels, thats almost a 35 lb weight advantage you would be giving up- in unsprung weight.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
22.8LBS for 17" or 18" ? Big difference. 22.8 for 17" is good if it's 7.5" wide or wider, not great but good, 22.8LBS for 18" is very light, even though there are even lighter wheels for top dollar. !! Maybe they are not as heavy as I thought, might be thinking of a similar wheel. My Voxx 17X8 ar around 22.5 LBS.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, more digging, they are 28.8 Ibs for the 18X8.5 wheel.

I'm planning on remaining with 225/40/18 and retain the same geometry with the et35mm offset.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Trust me, 18" wheels are not good for boston for a daily driver. I'd stick with the 17" wheels if not 16" if you want to go for comfort over performance. Plus it's not like you get wider tires by going 18", it wouldn't be much of a difference in performance. Of course if you have the balls and you like bigger wheels anyways than go for it, but I would advise against them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ran BBS 18's and teh ride was exceelnt but I had rubbing not on teh fender but the innner plastic at times, it annouyed me so I sold them
So if you had the choice again without the rubbing you'd be happy going with 18's again?

I am a function followed by form kinda guy - it's the engineer in me, but I'm also probably still adjusting to New England's random acts of asphalting their war-torn roads.
The big potholes will have little difference in feel to the ride no matter what size tyre I put on but a least a deeper sidewall will protect the rim.

As Breau points out - this may be a disaster for the ride quality.....but something tells me that at that price I ought to be able to sell them on again with relative ease.

Perhaps, on the face of it - I'm just bored and want to put new things on the new toy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well,
here they are in all their glory.
18x8.5J with 225-40-18 tyres.
No rubbing but I didn't expect any with the emaciated rubber.
The tyres are dead so will be replaced with 235-40-18 but judging by the clearances there should be any issues.

Not sure whether I'll keep them black or put them to silver/anthracite. Bit bling bling for my tastes with the chrome faux allen bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
TVR Nut, those look good. I'm running 22.5LB VOXX 17x8s because performance comes before looks for me, and I also get a nicer ride in the bargain, and less chance of bent wheels :D. I will be going with 255/40(Y or W speed rated) MaxP. or UHP tires next time 'round, in a few months. I really like the HTRZ IIIs, a lot, but I may try AD08s(absolutely tons O'grip in the dry), or Conti Extreme DWs(even lighter than the HTRZ IIIs, and very well reviewed, maybe even better grip in both dry and wet, but a few $$$s more, although the HTRZ IIIs have gone up in price quite a bit, after all the great reviews I guess).

·
Registered
708 Posts
.....255's? ...on your Saab?....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's twice I've made a big number typo - it should have read 225...
sorry for giving everyone a heart attack on that - 255......wow, bigger than my 4.5 litre TVR.....nope, will be going 235 or 225.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Didn't intend to call you out on it. Just with so many conflicting comments on 225 vs. 235, wasn't sure what to think.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts