SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting to plan for a fuel pump replacement since my fuel gauge only partially works (shows E after fillup; bounces up to F after driving 30 miles or so). I'm assuming it will eventually go dead completely. I’m choking on the price or the oem pumps for 2006-2009. Currently about $600 which is just nuts. I found a Spectra brand on amazon for just over $200. Anybody ever heard of/tried that brand?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ZPX19U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nWUkCb6F4T1SV

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to replace just the pump like on the older models? I bet if someone had two of them laying around they could tell us. I do not have them though or else I would do it.

Heck if someone had an old one and disassembled it we might be able to find one compatible.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replacing just the pump won't fix the gauge issue (which will probably just get worse, too).
Yeah I’m definitely doing the whole assembly. I want to fix the float arm and just replace the rest of it for peace of mind. (Since I have to drop the tank.)

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Replacing just the pump won't fix the gauge issue (which will probably just get worse, too).
Well I do know the sender had be replace independently. So if was possible to do the fuel pump with one of the universal ones then it would be a whole lot cheaper than 600.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Current plan. I don't trust the aftermarket pump assemblies, and I just can't bring myself to shell out $600 for the OEM assembly.

So...plan is to buy just the pump ($60):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JZCZWM/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_1

And then buy the fuel level sender ($34):

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-SK1184-Original-Equipment-Sensor/dp/B000EQR8A0/ref=sr_1_1

And just replace those parts. For just around $100 in parts I can replace the sender and replace the pump.

Please note that Amazon says that the parts are not compatible with the 2006, but my own independent research says that both the above parts work with my car.

I could pay a mechanic to do it and probably still spend less than the $600 assembly.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Keep us updated. My Saab guy changed out the sender in my 06' and it still works great. He said they almost never see a bad fuel pump on the later model Saab's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wanted to bump this thread - what miles on the Spectra so far? It looks like it has a lifetime warranty but the warranty is kind of limited in scope. Would love to hear how Andy's part replacement worked out/if the assembly can be taken apart after all.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wanted to bump this thread - what miles on the Spectra so far? It looks like it has a lifetime warranty but the warranty is kind of limited in scope. Would love to hear how Andy's part replacement worked out/if the assembly can be taken apart after all.
My reasoning for replacing the fuel pump was because (as you know) on the 06+ U.S. models you have to drop the tank to do anything with the fuel pump assembly. My fuel sending unit is bad, but my pump is fine. BUT If I am going to all that trouble to drop the tank, I wanted to replace the pump as well, for peace of mind. That said, others on here have said that fuel pump failures on the 06-09 cars are pretty rare. I was actually thinking of making a poll about it!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Difficulty of replacing 'pump only' in '06-'09 models

Sorry this is a little late to the thread, but I did a take-apart on the old pump that I replaced on my daughter's 2006 SC.

My opinion is that replacing the 'pump only' into the old assembly is 1) way trickier than on the pre-'06 cars and 2) carries the risk of not being able to replace the in-assembly fuel filter inside the more complicated '06+ assembly.

While this can probably be done successfully, I decided I wasn't going to try, even though the new OE units were absurdly expensive (and that was over three years ago at a slightly lower price).

If you do the 'pump only' replacement, please report back, because if I need to do it again . . .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for chiming in, Mariner - looks like I'll be looking for the pump assembly for the shop that tackles the project :(

Hoping the Spectra part does the trick (I found a decent price, has lifetime warranty) - hope someone can chime in about those.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I meant to add: since currently only my fuel gauge is affected and the car drives fine, I am waiting until spring to tackle this project. I live in the Minneapolis Minnesota area and it's too cold to have any shred of motivation to tackle car stuff right now in my freezing garage. So it might be a while before I have an update about this. My mother-in-law does have a heated garage and lives nearby if the issue escalates to a bad pump.

We are possibly setting a record this Wednesday -- I am seeing -31F (real temperature, not windchill). This is NOT ok! Lol.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I'm still hemming and hawing about this job. I emailed my mechanic and asked what he thinks I should do. I've narrowed it down to:

#1: Replace sender only
#2: Replace sender and pump
#3: Replace entire assembly

#3 just kills me thinking of spending $600 on the OEM pump. No way I am buying the ProParts pump. After my crappy experience with their front struts, it's unlikely I'll trust one of their products, especially something mission critical like the fuel pump.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
So I'm still hemming and hawing about this job. I emailed my mechanic and asked what he thinks I should do. I've narrowed it down to:

#1: Replace sender only
#2: Replace sender and pump
#3: Replace entire assembly

#3 just kills me thinking of spending $600 on the OEM pump. No way I am buying the ProParts pump. After my crappy experience with their front struts, it's unlikely I'll trust one of their products, especially something mission critical like the fuel pump.
iirc paid 450 or so for complete good OEM
unit. could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts