SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Drain the cooling system below the level of the stat.
Disconnect clip on hose going to thermostat housing (left end of cylinder head)
Unscrew the bolt securing the earth cable to the housing and move cable to one side.
Unbolt the hose support bracket from the stat housing.
Unscrew the upper and lower housing bolts on the housing and remove stat and housing together.
Change stat and refit in reverse order.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kermie, can you tell me where the radiator drain plug is located? Is it a recessed hex fitting like on Volvos maybe?

The other thing is I want to make sure I get the thermostat going in the right direction. The little dimple on it is suppossed to facing a particular way. Do you know?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
From memory the drain plug is on the rear of the rad half way down on one of the ends. Just make a note of the way its fitted when you remove it, the spring end is normally inside the stat housing/engine block.

And stop calling me Kermie, that privelege is reserved for Miss Piggy. ;)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
From memory the drain plug is on the rear of the rad half way down on one of the ends.
When I drained mine - the spigot was at the bottom of the radiator on the right hand side (when facing the engine bay. There was a plastic handle that you can turn about 180-270 degrees. There is no hardware that came off, the handle was part of a valve that was integrated into the radiator.

When the coolant drained, it came straight out the bottom of the bracket (there mus be a hole in there). I had been angling around with a hose thinking that it was going to come out from behind the handle, but it didn't.

In order to get at that handle, I attacked it from the top of the engine. I had to ram my hand inbetween the Big hose from the intercooler and the handle. I couldn't get enough of a grip from below the car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kermit said:
From memory the drain plug is on the rear of the rad half way down on one of the ends. Just make a note of the way its fitted when you remove it, the spring end is normally inside the stat housing/engine block.

And stop calling me Kermie, that privelege is reserved for Miss Piggy. ;)
Not the spring end, there is a little dimple - I believe it's called a "bleeder valve" - very small. I think I have a picture of it from a Volvo (basically the same thing.) I believe it should be facing the hose side of the housing.

http://volvospeed.com/Pics/repairpics/afterjun00/NewThermoCloseR.jpg

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Thats what i meant, just explained it poorly. ;oops:

In this picture the spring end would be in the engine block and the smaller top half in the stat housing nearer the rad hose.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got that. The question is about the little (very tiny) piece of metal sticking up. Not the piece in the top center. There is a little piece on the outside top. It has to be oriented right ie 12'oclock or 6 o'clock etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts