SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm going through some paperwork to ship my much loved 00' 9-3 Aero.

I've been asked by the customs and import authorities to identify any known asbestos material.
Everything I have is stock OEM, apart from my Koni yellow adjustable shocks. I have normal brake pads.

I've had a look in the WIS to see if asbestos is listed, but so far its a blank, where I'm looking.

I read on the forum here that SAAB did not use asbestos in manufacture after 1984.
Is anyone able to indicate a source to confirm this?
It would be most helpful if it was an official source from SAAB or similar.
Thanks in Advance.
Mort.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Mort,

the use of asbestos was totally forbidden in Sweden from 1982.

There is a document in Swedish by "The Swedish Work Environment Authority" (I couldn't find it translated into English). I'm not allowed to post URL:s, but google for "Huvudsakliga risker med asbest" and use Google Translate.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Yeah, doubt there is any in a 9-3... Saab was amongst the first to dump asbestos in brake pads, I doubt they would have continued using it elsewhere.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
The heat shields are simple metal. I would be positive that a car made in 2000 would have zero asbestos in its manufacture.

I have never seen an exhaust system with any asbestos anywhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What I've read, there were exhaust system gaskets with asbestos in them. SAAB were first in the world abandoning asbestos in brake pads and clutch components. As previously mentioned the use of asbestos was forbidden in Sweden 1982, so SAAB were not allowed to use it (although not unlikely some components may have been phased out starting from -82).

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all.
I feel a little better now.

Import / Export forms can be a bit overwhelming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts