SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am sorry I dont use this site very much but I do have a problem that I was hoping someone could help me with.
I have a 1988 saab 9000 turbo that hasnt been driven in quite some time
my wife and I are gonna start driving it soon
The antilock and the brake fluid lights are on all the time the brakes are for crap now
did some checking and the abs pump fuse was blown replaced it cleaned all the connectors and started the car fuse blew again
replace the use one more time and it didnt low but the lights still continue to be on
this didnt happen before but as I said the car gasnt been driven in some time
I would be greatful for any help with this

·
Registered
290 Posts
Do you have enough DOT4 brake fluid in the system? Start the car and let it idle for a couple of minutes and then check the brake fluid level. If it is low add DOT4 brake fluid only! I would suggest that you get the fluid changed and the systom bled by a pro anyway. My 89 9k gets tetchy if I let her sit too long and usually gives me the ABS light and low brake fluid lights to prove it. Sometimes just removing the brake fluid filler cap clears it, some times adding fluid when the accumulator has a chance to charge up does it.

If the fluid level is ok then check the wheel sensors (if your brakes are over 50% worn the ABS light sometimes comes on erratically). Front left is usually the culprit. Also have the master cylinder checked, the seals could be going bad and the system is not pressureizing. But if the car has been sitting for a while I am betting on brake fluid level or air/water in the system.

Saabs love to be driven and hate to sit for extended periods. If I let mine sit for a week or two she lets me know with all sorts of 'interesting' messages that clear up after a couple of hours of driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok blead the brakes checks the brakes and both are good

fluid level is fine.now for the 3rd time the brake pump fuse has blown the 30 amp one just behind the false firewall hmm still lost

·
Registered
290 Posts
OK, it may be pro time. The Haynes manual describes what you are getting and they say if both lights are on there is a problem that the owner should not fool around with, and to get the fault codes in the ECU read.

Find an ECU reader or, more probably, find a repair shop that can pull the codes and find out what is wrong. Since the fuse keeps blowing and adding fluid did not help I am betting you have a hydraulic pump problem. You may want to start looking for one now, but wait on buying one until the ECU codes are read.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
atfer messing with it all day I think thats the best idea

look for hydrolic pump online havent found one as of yet but thank you for your help

·
Registered
739 Posts
ABS and Brake light on till you move?

On my '95 9000 Aero the ABS light and Brake light stay once you start the car till you start moving. Once you start moving they both go out, is this a systems check, like teh check radiator warning under the MPG screen when you start the car?

·
Registered
290 Posts
As far as I know, those lights should go out in a couple of seconds after start. You might want to get the codes pulled just in case you have something in the system that is about to die. Oh, check the brake fluid as I detailed in the earlier posts, you just might have low brake fluid.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ng900?

Really I had a roomate in collage that had a NG900 and on the display it said to test brakes before the warning would go out??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
;oops: ok after pulling the hydrolic punmp out I found out that the electric motor that runs the pump is frozen so its not to bad found one online but they wanted $889.95 plus a $100 core charge

so I will try and find an electric motor repaip shop to rewind the coil and put new brushes in the motor itself has a unique when of being self contained or else I would rewind the motor myself

1 - 11 of 11 Posts