SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a 1995 ce. This afternoon I noticed small drops of antifreeze on the passenger side, floor mat. Is this the heater core leaking? If so is there any way to slow down or stop this? or is removing and installing a new core the only answer. If so, any idea how many hours such a job would take? Thanks for the help. sky.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like a heater core problem. You can try Bar's leak sealer, or if you live in a warm climate, shunt the hoses going to the heater core but of course, you will have no heat.

Otherwise, its replace the heater core. If its a high mileage car, and you are doing the work yourself, I would replace the blower motor while you are at it. You have to take out the blower to get to the core, the new blower is only about $60 and once you get in there, you will never want to do this job again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Antifreeze on mat.

Thanks for the reply abusot. The car has 88k on it, I'm off to the auto store to find some leak sealer. I am assuming the best place to put this is the radiator fill tank? Its worth a try. Sounds expensive to repair ! Thanks again. sky.

·
Registered
123 Posts
skyking said:
Thanks for the reply abusot. The car has 88k on it, I'm off to the auto store to find some leak sealer. I am assuming the best place to put this is the radiator fill tank? Its worth a try. Sounds expensive to repair ! Thanks again. sky.
The stop leak is only a very temporary solution. The heater core is largely plastic, and a crack will migrate over time. Schedule a replacement, or connect the hoses to - from the heater core in the meantime. Anything where you could potentially lose a massive amount of coolant or oil is something to take care of promptly, and not mess around with.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heater core.

Thanks for the reply VI009DZ. Sounds like a involved job to replace the core. Any idea how many hours should be set aside for the job? I'm thinking (maybe) the leak sealer, will by me some time. (spring time that is) Thanks for the help. sky.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Most anybody that's done it will suggest changing the blower motor as long as you are going to be in there working. Its cramped, it sucks, and its a job you want to do once in your cars lifetime (or two if you REALLY rack up the mileage!!).

I did them in my wifes '96 Aero maybe a month back, and it was the first time I'd done both. It took me around 3 hours to do both blower motor and heater core.

The reason I recommend doing the blower motor at the same time, is that you HAVE to remove the whole blower motor assembly anyway to access the heater core, so for $70, a new blower motor is fairly cheap insurance.

Assembly looks like this, then you split this assembly in half, remove the "squirrel cage" inside and swap out just the motor itself and reassemble.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120197930207

Removing this assembly is the toughest part of the job. Stuff is really shoehorned in. Once THAT is out, you're staring the heater core in the face and its a 10 minute removal / install of the new heater core, then you fight with installing the blower motor assembly again.

Definitely plan on a day if you don't wrench often, and have never been under the hood of your car. The only reason I recommend doing it soon is that the antifreeze will ALWAYS be under the floor of your car unless you remove the carpet and really dry it out. You don't want that crud in your car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts