SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I have a 2008 Saab 9-3 Sportcombi that I love, and I live in a city with one Saab mechanic that I hate, so I am back peddling to learn about my car.
The coolant light has come on (dash) but when I look a the coolant (pink/orange in color) it looks like it is only midway down the reservoir. The coolant I bought is green - So I am not using that as I suspect things shouldn't mix.

My car has only ever been serviced at the dealership or a certified Saab mechanic.

Is the orange coolant original to the 08' car? (Which I can't imagine as I feel like it has had a flush once upon a time)

Do I need to have it flushed? Do I use the green or the orange?

Thank you for your advice.
~C

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Pink/Orange is Dexcool so I'd stick with it. There is a level sensor inside the recovery tank: if the level is at the middle seam when cold then it's probably the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Is it a 4 cylinder or V6? V6 run hot and the float inside tends to split open and then the car can't read the fluid level. Best bet is a new tank is needed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi all - I have a 2008 Saab 9-3 Sportcombi that I love, and I live in a city with one Saab mechanic that I hate, so I am back peddling to learn about my car.
The coolant light has come on (dash) but when I look a the coolant (pink/orange in color) it looks like it is only midway down the reservoir. The coolant I bought is green - So I am not using that as I suspect things shouldn't mix.

My car has only ever been serviced at the dealership or a certified Saab mechanic.

Is the orange coolant original to the 08' car? (Which I can't imagine as I feel like it has had a flush once upon a time)

Do I need to have it flushed? Do I use the green or the orange?

Thank you for your advice.
~C
Just to be clear, you should use Dexcool. Get a gallon of the premixed stuff. If you buy the gallon of the straight 100% coolant youll have to dilute 50/50 with distilled water. If your coolant is low theres a good chance you have a leak somewhere. So if it goes down again have the problem diagnosed by a mechanic

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Dexcool is the right stuff. It's 150,000 mi. coolant.

You're correct that the coolant has been replaced at least once, since the factory coolant was red/pink.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
She said it not low, just the reading says it was, She said it has "not green" coolant that she bought, and will not mix., Diggs said it may be the float in the tank not reading, so look at that. Only need to change coolant at 150k miles if it is Dexcool in there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Midway down the tank gets you to the point that the light comes on. Not disputing the warnings of sensor failure, just that the sensor isn't super hyper precise or critical. Top it off with dexcool type coolant/water, as that's likely what is currently in it, and if the light goes off, you're done. Until it next goes down enough to trip the light again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts