SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. I recently removed my radiator for replacement purposes and of course instantly draned the expansion tank's as well as the radiator's coolant. However, I think there is more antifreeze in the engine block, water pump and maybe somewhere else. Before I put in a new radiator and refill the system, I want to evacuate all of that additinal antifreeze, but don't know how. Someone said removing the thermostat will drain this additional coolant, but I'd like to confirm before doing this. Anybody knows? thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,204 Posts
But why? Just fill it up and go. Don't need to get all the old out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its better to replace all of the old antifreeze with new antifreeze (not obligatory granted) its a good idea in my case also since car is partially disassembled; have access to all hoses...can't find a single post detailing this

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Remove thermostat and flush.
Then install new t-stat and fill up with 50/50 mix of coolant.
Start engine and wait for t-stat to open (expansion tank level will drop), refill coolant to min level +2cm.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, still some questions:

1. after removing thermostat, how do I flush the system? is there an additional hose to disconnect to empty out the engine/heater core or will everything just flow out through thermostat opening?
2. my thermostat is pretty new (4 years old) genuine SAAB so ok not to replace it with new one?

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
PM sent.
I am too lazy to write all again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts