SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just ordered a set of anti roll bar bushes x4.I was wondering if any body out there has any advice on how best to change these?

Many Thanks

·
4,637 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, it's just a matter of unbolt, remove, replace and bolt up again. The anti-roll bar is not under tension except when cornering.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
but often recommended to remove front ARB... supposed to allow the wheels to move more independently and sometimes said that the ARB was just a marketing thing and not necessary as the cars suspension was not designed to have ARB to begin with. None of the early cars had them. Also often said to keep the rear one as that does help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any bets on how hard those nuts are going to be to get undone:confused:.

Remove it altogether,now that is interesting.HAs anybody tried this?

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
S44BT16 said:
Any bets on how hard those nuts are going to be to get undone
I've never found them too difficult. They're held on using the same bolts as the ball-joints at the front. Not sure about the rear - can't remember. Use WD40 by spraying an hour (or more) beforehand and then again when trying to loosen... unless the ball-joints have been replaced recently and then it should be a breeze.

S44BT16 said:
Remove it altogether,now that is interesting.HAs anybody tried this?
I have 3 classic 900's and 1 99 and none of them have a front anti-roll-bar.

davidlytle said:
I dont understand why you would want t take them off. Im sure they do something.
Yes... they do do something. When you go around a corner and the suspension squashes the ARB links both sides of the car together and stops your independent, double-wishbone suspension from working independently. Say it's a right-hander.. then the left front corner of the car is squashing down and the body is tilted to the left... as this is happening the front right wheel on the inside is also lifting off the ground - now does that help or not? I'd say not... and so I take my front ARB off. And like I said above.. the 99 chassis was designed and then introduced in 1969 without anti-roll-bars and continued like that right up to somehwere around 1987 when they started fitting ARB's to the classic 900's. When you see how it has been fitted to the car you can clearly see it is just a bolt-on extra which was never really meant to be there. Apparently rear ARB's are worth keeping though! Personally I'm not at that fine level of tuning just yet!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
There was no need for an ARB on the front on early cars because the suspension was stiffer. To 'modernise' the car and update the ride the suspension was softened necessatating the fitting of an ARB to reduce roll.

Those with later cars who have removed the ARB had already or should have already stiffened the suspension by using stronger springs and correspondingly stronger dampers.

On FWD cars the rear ARB is important for good handling as is a front ARB for RWD cars. For fast driving and cornering it is more important to keep both driving wheels in contact with terra firma than with reducing body roll, if you can achieve both so much the better. As with all things, suspension setup is a matter of balancing compromises.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts