SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting worsening reception. I had a slight crack in the plastic stalk which I sealed with a piece of large shrink tubing. I wanted to put an ohm meeter across the contacts and wanted to know what the correct resistance value it should have in order to see it it was the antenna or something else.

Car: 2005 9-3 Linear Convertible
antenna: cone shaped base with a tapering tube, from which emanates a 1/8 rod with the wire wrapped around (and sealed).

·
Registered
814 Posts
I also used the shrink wrap trick to cover the spring area, but reception was and still is fine.
Sorry I don't know voltage across, try aluminum foil just to see if any difference in reception..
Don't we have a booster in the antenna circuit? Maybe it's not functioning.
Edit: aerial amplifier 2005-2011 # 12758653 and/or antenna booster # 12833657 from EPC.
2 part system, powered amplifier behind glove box and booster at antenna base. Get WIS.
Sorry I can't show pics.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I received the part, and it looked quite nice. It was an non oem 19" unit. It works, thought I still need to see if the poor reception had more to due with rainy days.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Why 19" as opposed to the reg 16 inch?
Difference between the recommended OEM 16" they sell for $15.50 and the one you bought.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its odd, but mine was more like 17" or so. I really can't tell the difference from the old one.

I decided to see if the extra length to get better reception as they said it would (at lest over shorter than 16). Maybe I can get Boston's NPR* for a few more exits into CT now.

*imagine that, a Saab owner listening to NPR. and no, I don't have a phish sticker:lol:

·
Registered
814 Posts
You are probably the reason Click and Clack are retiring : >)
Did you also have something to do with Charles River closing?:lol:
By the way, glad it wasn't one of the amplifiers (boosters).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhh, come back when your avatar has it's top down...:D

maybe they will start reruns from the beginning shows of Tom and Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts