SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I tried to replace my mast. It was broken inside so I removed the antenna from the car. It was very difficult to get the mast out of the antenna. The sleeve didn't moved at all. I removed the old mast but the sleeve stayed in place. At this stage I had 2 options :

-Drill and destroy the old sleeve (seriously ?)
-Keep the old sleeve, remove the tube and insert the new mast from the bottom

I chose the second way because it was safer I guessed. I was wrong. I removed the 2 screws at the bottom of the tube and tried to pull. Didn't move. I tried to pull harder and harder and broke the tube finally. End of story.

So now where can I find an used antenna ? Even a broken one could be fine as I can rebuild it with my own parts.

Damn it !

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yes they're tough. I've repaired a few, and if the top sleeve has corroded in place it is difficult to remove and if I can leave it I will. What I haven't experienced is being unable to remove the aluminium tube after the two screws.

Used complete antennas come up on ebay sometimes. I don't have any at the moment, but I do have some spare tubes (and top sleeves) which you can have for the cost of posting.

Doug

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they're tough. I've repaired a few, and if the top sleeve has corroded in place it is difficult to remove and if I can leave it I will. What I haven't experienced is being unable to remove the aluminium tube after the two screws.

Used complete antennas come up on ebay sometimes. I don't have any at the moment, but I do have some spare tubes (and top sleeves) which you can have for the cost of posting.

Doug
Thank you Doug. I will try to remove the tube then. I don't understand why it's so hard.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Assuming your motor is good - you can replace the mast.
The mast is available and they are about $15 USD - in both black and chrome - As I got a black one from eeuro about 18 months ago. esaab is currently showing the whole antenna assembly new - @ about $180 USD.
The key is to get the teeth going the same way - so the cogs grab the teeth at the bottom. - So it is a 2 person job, as someone needs to toggle the ignition & turn the radio on/off. There are a few you-tube clips out there showing how it is done - but there was a writeup on saabsite that is also very good. There is another one out there in pdf form but I cant seem to find it at the moment.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming your motor is good - you can replace the mast.
The mast is available and they are about $15 USD - in both black and chrome - As I got a black one from eeuro about 18 months ago. esaab is currently showing the whole antenna assembly new - @ about $180 USD.
The key is to get the teeth going the same way - so the cogs grab the teeth at the bottom. - So it is a 2 person job, as someone needs to toggle the ignition & turn the radio on/off. There are a few you-tube clips out there showing how it is done - but there was a writeup on saabsite that is also very good. There is another one out there in pdf form but I cant seem to find it at the moment.
Hi Mort,

I already have a spare mast. The problem is I had to dismantle the antenna because the sleeve didn't come out ,and I had to remove broken bits from inside. I broke the tube (mast housing) not just the mast..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Doug
Doug I sent you a PM

·
Registered
17,872 Posts
Looks like the OP is all set, but FWIW: I got a sleeve out once by drilling... before it was completely drilled out, the bit grabbed it and broke it loose. But, most times I've tried to drill it out I ended up destroying the tube.

Now I will try to leave it in place. But here's the rub: The sleeve makes metal to metal contact with the antenna. If there's enough corrosion between the sleeve and the antenna, your reception will be poor. Ask me how I know. Then the only solution is replacing the tube. Note how the screw with the wire buries in the tube if you replace the tube - that's important to the contact process too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts