SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://imageshack.us

http://imageshack.us

this was before the snow got really bad...

anyways my question is, i was driving in some really deep stuff, trying to get un stuck, and rocking the car, and all the while the traction control light was on and doing it's thing, and all of a sudden i got an ABS failure, and traction control failure message on the SID followed by my abs light coming on and traction control not working along with no speedometer. i drove to the closest gas station, turned it off and then back on and still had the problem, so i drove away and locked up the brakes to see if the ABS really wasnt working, and it wasnt, however after that one lock up the ABS light went out and i was able to turn traction control back on... any ideas about this?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

anyways my question is, i was driving in some really deep stuff, trying to get un stuck, and rocking the car, and all the while the traction control light was on and doing it's thing, and all of a sudden i got an ABS failure, and traction control failure message on the SID followed by my abs light coming on and traction control not working along with no speedometer. i drove to the closest gas station, turned it off and then back on and still had the problem, so i drove away and locked up the brakes to see if the ABS really wasnt working, and it wasnt, however after that one lock up the ABS light went out and i was able to turn traction control back on... any ideas about this?
It might be something more serious, but under the conditions you describe, it could be as simple as some snow getting built up on an ABS sensor causing a failure. I would take the wait and see approach to see if the abs failure comes back.

Its snowing pretty good here in St. Louis, but I think we are only supposed to get a couple inches. My car is in the garage, so no snowy pictures.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yea. Snow may have built up on your wheel speed sensor. And if it did actually break it's not that bad if a fix. I dint have any experience but I have read those symptoms many times on a few threads. It's always the wheel speed sensors

·
Registered
152 Posts
Last year when my SAAB got stuck in the snow and after awhile of trying to get unstuck, I got the same system failures, but they came back after a little while of driving. Hopefully it does the same for you!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts

I had this happen to me, when I got stuck reallllly bad it seemed my motor was being strained too much and went into some kind of same mode. Also Blew a Coil Pack when that happened as well. Probably the same thing.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
LOL. Hunts, your car looks like a squidward..

TCS, ABS and Xmission failure alarm is pretty common in the winter. The car thinks it screwed up because of the excessive slip, so it chimes in the warnings. I believe it either takes 3 starts, or 10 miles of driving to clear the code. Although I suppose you could pull the battery if you dont want to go through the trouble..

Either way, I doubt your car is screwed up. It just gets touchy when the snow defeats it

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
LOL. Hunts, your car looks like a squidward..

TCS, ABS and Xmission failure alarm is pretty common in the winter. The car thinks it screwed up because of the excessive slip, so it chimes in the warnings. I believe it either takes 3 starts, or 10 miles of driving to clear the code. Although I suppose you could pull the battery if you dont want to go through the trouble..

Either way, I doubt your car is screwed up. It just gets touchy when the snow defeats it
I sort of noticed this too tonight. I took the car out for some "tests/fun" and as I was pulling away in the snow, tcs was working, I turned left and BAM "stability system failure, contact service" came up. I nailed the brakes, abs worked. I shut the car off, waited about 30 seconds, restarted and the error was still there.

Manually turned off TCS/ESP and drove for about 5 min, pressed the ESP button again, and everything was fine for the rest of the night. Weird..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts