SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Someone on here painted his body color...looked clean, but made the car look too much loke a chevy malibu for my taste. If your paint is black I don't think it would look bad at all.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have to agree, the color matched trim really only looks good on black cars. I have a black Aero that I painted the trim on, and it looks great imo. Don't have any pics right now, but I'll try to throw some up later if you'd like.

Aaaand I'm retarded, read your post wrong. I think painting the trim black on your red wagon would look really, really good actually. That faded grey just sucks.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bringer said:
Someone on here painted his body color....
I have a red wagon...I just wanted the contrast to be there. I figure after a paint job, it'll be easier to clean (smoother surface) and won't show the fade.

I read a thread about peanut oil, but I thought I was doing just about the same thing with amorall. Takes too long for such a short fix.

I guess the real question is (1) textured or (2) sand, smooth, high fill primer, and then paint?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Al's Red Wagon said:
I read a thread about peanut oil, but I thought I was doing just about the same thing with amorall. Takes too long for such a short fix.
I've used Peanut oil before and it worked well on my 9000CSE which had the greyish vinyl trim around the bottom of the car. I also tried using it on the side moulding which works but it's bloody messy after a rain as it streaks down the paint. DON'T use armor-all on anything it's worthless. Mother's back to black is the best thing I've used honestly. Gives a satin finish and lasts longer than the other dressings. Cheers.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just painted mine, did like 3 coats plus a clear and then wet sanded it smooth. I tried it on one piece to see how it would look because I REALLY didn't want to sand/fill etc, and it turned out great.

Never use Armorall.. it doesn't last and really just dries out plastic and vinyl in the long run. Back to Black is awesome, and I've heard good things about peanut oil too.. but both are just temporary solutions. The only downside to painting the bump strips is, well, that they are bump strips. When they bump stuff, they get chipped.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I drive a Black Aero and have'nt painted the trim strips, BUT, I've seen it done on several other Saabs and I love the look....I'd say go for it, but you NEED to post pics when you're finished with it....Best of Success to you.....Zebulon

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, It has begun...

I took off the tiny bits o' trim from infront of the doors to paint.

I am using American tradition Adhesion promoter and then a American tradition Black satin enamel spray paint (from Lowe's). I am then going to finish with several coats of Duplicolor Clearcoat acrylic enamel (from auto parts store).

No pics for a week though. It says seven days to cure, and I don't want to screw something up during the installation.

If this works I'll do the entire trim work but we'll see how this looks first...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts