SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on the subject of the cooling lines. I have conjured and scrapped many methods, but I have finally figured out what I am going to do. I have three lines to make, and six fittings total. I know the sizes for 5 out of the six. I know that the three screws on the turbo are 12mm, and that the coolant in and coolant out lines use 14mm on the engine side.

But I do not know the size of the screw for the engine side of the oil in line!!! I used an EPC to figure out that it is 14mm. So you'd think it is that easy. But Blue 9-3 said that the line can be retained from the td04 to the engine that is on the car now. So I would think that the line that came with the td04 would fit my engine. But that line has 12mm screw fittings on both sides. Following me?

The difference is that Blue 9-3 is using a td04 from a 9000. So would the oil line from my Viggen turbo call for a smaller screw on the engine side? This means that the Viggen (t7) engine uses a different size screw that the t5 engine and that it is actually smaller?

So should I just trust the EPC 100% and buy a hose with a 12mm fitting on one side and a 14mm fittings on the other? Or should I buy tow hoses, one that is 12mm to 12mm and one that is 12mm to 14mm?

Buying two hoses would cost me an extra $50. And to reiterate, I need all the parts ready before the install as some are special order and I can't spare too much downtime for the car.

Thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just buy both fittings if you are going with SS braided lines.

My hoses are setup like this

metric to male -4AN // female -4AN to hose // -4AN hose // hose to female -4AN // male -4AN to metric

The metric to AN adaptors will screw into the block/turbo

I used aeroequipt SS teflon lined Hoses with steel fittings

The metric fittings I purchased at Summit, and the hoses I bough at a local shop everything under $80

It also would be a good idea to get an angled or a swivel fitting for the return water, as it would hit the block with the metric to an fitting.

They do make banjo to AN adpators, but not in the correct sizes 10mm

Ive wanted to try drilling them out, but not sure if it would work.

You could try everything @-6 AN ,but thah would bump all the prices up as a single banjo @12mm would be $20.

nate
99 9-3 vert

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like how your set-up works because it seems more userfriendly. For one, you don't need the line pressed into the fittings. And two, it would be easier to install on the car since it wouldn't be a total one peice set-up. And three, it would only be a $5 difference to make it compatable for both screw sizes. I'm going back to the shop today to pick this stuff up or order it if I have to.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I just added the stuff up to have a coparison number for the summit stuff.

-4 AN hose to female -4 AN steel (6)
-4 AN hose 10 ft. (1)
12mm x 1.5 male to -4 AN flare (4)
14mm x 1.5 male to -4 AN flare (3)

Total price is $144.22

You said you did this under $80? How so? This price doesn't even include shipping!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, but his statement that everything was under $80 could be taken both ways. You know?

I'm going to probably go with 90 degree elbows for the hose to AN fittings for the engine side only. They are twice as much as straight fittings. I know that on the turbo straight fittings are fine. It might call for a bit more hose, but its cheaper than 90 degree fittings.

My local shop wasn't very helpful today. There was a different guy there and he didn't know much. They claimed $213 for everything and it "might" be here next monday. Forget that.

I'm going to put the order together tonight with Summit and place it tomorrow night. Anybody who has helped me before, expect pm's of the item list for a review if you don't mind. And I'll be sure to post it here after that as a resource.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well here is my shopping cart. I've got every line necessary for the conversion here. I also got an extra AN to metric in case the "mystery size" is 14 or 12 I'll be covered. Included also is the oil drain line. There were a few ways to make the total cheaper, but I liked the idea of sticking with mostly the same brand on this. Let me know what you guys think. I'm going to order the stuff tomorrow.

EAR-300104ERL
Earl's Performance Auto-Fit Hose Ends $5.88
(3) $17.64

EAR-306004ERL
Earl's Performance Auto-Flex Hose $31.88
$31.88

EAR-309104ERL
Earl's Performance Auto-Fit Hose Ends (3) $13.88
$41.64

EAR-9919BFGERL
Earl's Performance AN to Metric Adapter Fittings $9.69
(4) $38.76

EAR-9919BFHERL
Earl's Performance AN to Metric Adapter Fittings $9.69
(3) $29.07

RUS-632150
Russell ProFlex Hose $19.88
$19.88

Select All If you have deleted any items from your cart or changed any quantities, please press the update button.
Sub Total: $178.87

·
Registered
58 Posts
I paid $80 for the hoses and the 6 -4AN hose ends. They also installed the hose ends for free. I would check any hydralic shops in your area as they could do it for you cheaper.

You should look into replacing the studs on tc you can reuse the nuts if they are in good condition. Dont go to the dealer as they want over $10/ stud:x

Since I snapped those photos I wraped some heat insulation around the hoses closest to the exhaust manifold

td04 yahoo gallery

Are you going to install this yourself or have a mechanic do it??

That list should work. You can get away with those straight adaptors on the block. It would be a good idead to use the curved hose ends on the turbo connections as it would be a cleaner install then mine.

nate
99 9-3 vert

·
Registered
58 Posts
that top line is oil in

line closer to radiator/fan is water in

line closer to block is water return

of course the oil return is on the bottom

nate
99 9-3 vert

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nateg, I did look into having a local shop prepare the hoses, but being up in Maine, there wasn't much around to help. The one shop that could do anything at all for me couldn't get the parts in for up to a week. And they quoted me $200 plus to have it all made up.

jr, I'll get that list edited shortly for ya.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts