SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 9-3 convertible with the 7 speaker system. I previously added 6x9 speakers behind the back seat and powered them by adding an amplifier and taking the signal from the amp under the seat, as reccommended. Much improved sound!

The amp I used to power them was a four channel amp and now I am thinking I may take the two unused channels and power the door speakers with them. I would replace the door speakers with 4 ohm speakers.

My questions are, has anyone powered the door speakers and are they happy with the results? Also, can someone reccommend a 4-ohm speaker that will fit nicely without having to make modifications?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
The bolt pattern for the 6.5" door speakers seems to be pretty standard. I have had 4 speakers in there (including the original) and they all fit the four bolt pattern exactly. The 4 bolt pattern makes a square 4.3" on a side.

The speakers I have used:
1) stock
2) Image Dynamics CX62
3) JBL GTO 627
4) Infinity 62.7i

The first two are 2 ohm speakers. The JBL and Infinitys are advertised as 2 ohm, but measure out to 3 ohms. These would probably be OK with most aftermarket amps. Many can also handle the 2 ohm loads. But it pays to check.

I do not know specifically which 4 ohm speakers are exact fit. But it stands to reason that 4 ohm speakers from Infinity and JBL will probably have the same mounting pattern as their "2 ohm" product lines. Back in 2003-2004, many here tried Polk speakers. Those 6.5" speakers were NOT big enough to fill the hole in the door.

Be careful of oversized speaker magnets, as they can rub against the window in this location. This was a problem with the ID CX62's. I am very happy with my Infinity speakers which have Neodymium magnets, basically a material which gets a stronger magnetic field from a smaller mass than a typical ceramic magnet.

The main problem with the door speakers in the 7-speaker system is they get frequencies all the way down to 20 Hz. This is too low for a 6.5" driver. In the 13 speaker system the bass is cutoff at 90 Hz. Doesn't sound like much, but that is two whole octaves (i.e. 20-80 Hz)!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ctrlz, thank you for the response. I will use the Infinity Speaker dimensions when shopping and will probably purchase an Infinity 4 ohm peaker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts