SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I saw the other ones. Just not in a thread hijacking kind of mood though. Pulled my plugs yesterday, found the dielectric grease I had used in the wire boots was toasted. Sign of high heat correct? Cleaned that up and moved on to the plugs- each of them had gasoline on them and could smell it. Sign of not enough heat? I can't even comment on the gapping of the plugs, couldn't find either of the two plug gappers I had, looks like I'll be stopping by the parts store for a new one. Dang! I've been pushing the engine a bit as of lately, so I'd like to think that is why the plugs were looking as they did. Should I let this go as circumstances or should I be worried about whats going on internally? Should I look into higher temp spark plugs? Also curious about something I read where if you loosen the bolt just below the distributor and twist the distributor, and then retighten that bolt, it will result in a hotter spark. Is this true? Also noticed a small amount of something, most likely oil sitting in the bottom of the throttle body/intake manifold area, not a whole lot, but some. Is this most likely just an accumulation of oil making it past the PCV nipple and back down into the intake? Any insights greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I'd say that whatever gas you smelled on the plugs was from your last startup, and not necessarily a long term thing. Maybe it is, but if you started the engine cold and just moved it around the driveway there would likely be extra gas floating around. However if you drove it around town and then parked I'd say you might have an issue. FWIW, i'd think that all four plugs being gassy suggests it's not just a leaky fuel injector.

I've sometimes noticed a little oil in my intake too. Actually, this seems to happen in all my cars. Not very much, but some. My theory is that when the engine is running there's a certain amount of oil "mist" that gets generated and sucked into the PCV system. It then condenses i the intake.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you have definitely debunked the mystery Jeff. I had completely forgotten, but right before I started to pull the spark plugs I had moved the car to another part of the driveway from a cold start. So extra fuel was probably injected and the engine not allowed up to temp, thus the fueled up plugs.
I also think you're right on about the oil misting. I haven't looked down in there for probably at least 6 months (at least 10k miles) so the accumulating mist makes complete sense, especially since I noticed where the PCV pipe goes into the throttle body had some oil discoloring on it. Cleaned those stains off and will keep an eye on it. Probably should run a pipe cleaner up through that pipe in case stuff is accumulating and restricting flow. Also cleaned up the head near the #10 headbolt to see how badly thats leaking. Should be a fun few weeks ahead :cheesy: .

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Aha!

It's cool to have proof of what short trips can do.

I wonder if the dialectric grease just wore away from normal engine heat. It must get very very hot under the cover, so it's hard to see how any grease could last for very long.

Is it vital to use this? I have some on lots of my connectors, but I've never put fresh stuff on my plug wires.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put the stuff on 6 months ago perhaps, and it was specifically for spark plug boots, so I would have thought it would be up to specs for that type of heat.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SPATL said:
Odd...how old is the DI?
DI......what the heck is a DI???? Nah, just messin' with ya. Its n/a, still got a whirly-gig coming out the side of the valve cover.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
You've got a distributor Nate? Be careful, I hear that when the caps and rotors go on those things it can cost almost twenty bucks. Not reliable like those fancy DI things. :cheesy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts