SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
newbie here and a bit of a novice in the automotive world...

I have a 9-3 Aero Convertible 2005 that is in need of a new tire. It came with Pirelli P6 all seasons and the number thing on the tire is;

P225 / 45 R17 94V M&S Treadwear 400 Temp A

I have read several threads about tires and it is a bit overwhelming! I live in Toronto, so I have to deal with sun, rain, sleet, and snow in my driving. And unfortunately don't have anywhere to store off season tires so I need all seasons.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Use the Tire racks "Tire Selector" www.thetirerack.com to find All season tires within your price range and read the reviews, I use Bridgestone RE960 Pole Positions, others may use Kuhmo Ecsta's. You'll see several posts following, probably with strong opinions on whats best...but drivers and conditions, as opinions, are different.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm kind of like you, I didn't want to buy winter tires and have to store them, plus in MN we don't get a lot of snow and very often, so I wasn't sure if it was worth the money. I just bought Bridgestone HydroEdges a couple of weeks ago. They are T rated, so they perform slightly less in cornering (so I've noticed anyways), but they are supposed to be a great all season. The tread is perfect for snow, sleet, ice & rain. They don't seem to be any noisier than any other tire on the highway either. They aren't cheap, I got mine for $614 out the door, lifetime warranty and all.

Anne

·
Registered
230 Posts
I changed out my Pirellis last year with Toyo Proxes 4 All season performance. I have no complaints about them. They handle well in rain and they hug the road well at high speeds. As for snow i really cant say much because i have a AWD truck for that, but i have gotten caught a few times in snow/sleet and they performed better than i thought for a low profile tire.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
T is a pretty low rating for a tire on a 93SS, can't even find that tire listed on tire rack, although Michelin makes a Hydroedge. For another 26 bucks you could have gotten the Potenza RE960AS Pole Position, V rated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Toyo Proxes TPT - very little road noise, excellent wet traction, no hydroplaning and good in the snow.

Performance is not an issue in the snow --- SAFETY.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think what JonV was stating is that with the Bridgestones you would have that appropriate (safety) level of control however, in the dry conditions you would be able to obtain the level of performace the 9-3 is capable of delivering.

In other words... No sacrifice in performance (wet or dry) but all the safety and traction even in bad weather when you need it for just a fraction of cost more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have a 03 with 95k, got 32 k out of the Pirelli P6, over 60k out of Mich Mx4+ with about 5-10k to go. Good traction, great ride and fairly quiet. Can't say I have a lot of snow testing though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
d-oh, they are Michelin's, sorry! This cold has totally fuzzied my mind. For a few less bucks I was considering Yokohamas. I kind of wish I did because they were H rated and would have hugged the road well. My only problem again was the winter need of something that handled well in snow & ice, if we had any, so I didn't have to deal with winter tires. If they do indeed pose a threat to the stability of the car in the summer, I'll buy a new pair and sell these for about the price of the new pair.

BTW they filled mine with nitrogen. Its apparently better than air. Never heard of that before!

Anne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts