SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1997 900 started making some odd metallic vibrating noises over the past couple of days, especially while letting out the clutch or making right-hand turns, which reminded me of the noises it made the last time the right-hand engine mount went out.

When I replaced that mount a couple of years ago, Orio was selling ProParts mounts since the original German supplier has apparently stopped making them. They've since stopped selling even those, presumably because they're such low quality. In the time since I installed the ProParts mount, I found a NOS Saab OEM mount on eBay and had kept that around for the inevitable day when the ProParts mount would fail. That day came, but it failed in a way I hadn't seen before.

Typically those mounts sag and the bolt in the center disappears from view. In this case, the mount was still holding up the engine just fine, but the welds that attach the round metal part that encases the rubber to the bracket that bolts onto the chassis had all failed. The center section was free to rattle against the bracket. Due to the way the bracket was bent on the edges, it didn't seem like it could come apart, but it definitely made some noises. Interestingly, ProParts also changed the shape of the mount slightly, but for the worse, of course. It's much more difficult to get in and out of position, even with the engine lowered all the way onto the subframe. The OEM mount pops right in. Another interesting thing was that the bolt in the center of the OEM mount sagged down immediately after I removed the jack supporting the engine. It looks like ProParts used stiffer rubber in their mount that can better support the weight of the engine. Could this have been the one rubber product of theirs that was actually engineered well, but let down by lousy quality control? :roll:

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get the ProParts mount for the passenger's side? I saw that RockAuto sells a Westar brand mount for that location. I'm hoping someone buys that and reports on it. We can still get the Corteco mount for the rear. I have one of those on hand, plus a German-made Rein mount for the transmission side when it's needed.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I went super cheapskate and bought one sold by Protier...it was $20 delivered. I figured it was a low risk (low dollar) experiment. I am replaceing all three at once, which I hope helps them all last longer.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hutchinson was the OEM for the 9-5, but Corteco seemed to be the OEM for the NG900, and I'm assuming also the 9-3.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I just bought a Uro (driver's) and Beck/Arnley (passenger's) .... .... I will never know how long they last, but initial reaction is that neither is worse than PPS, so.... win?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I feared all the low quality options for this mount enough that I bought the Taliaferro Polyurethane mount for it. I already had the Taliaferro transmission mount which was enough stiffness for me, but I knew it was a quality part. It definitely is a decrease in ride comfort, it is broken in enough now that I don't really notice vibration unless I have the A/C on but it is definitely a nuisance. I need to put some foam somewhere in the sunroof because a lot of the vibration at a stop comes from there. It's too bad there aren't any quality rubber options available because I definitely would have gone with one I knew would last.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Hutchinson was the OEM for the 9-5, but Corteco seemed to be the OEM for the NG900, and I'm assuming also the 9-3.

Corteco is OEM for the rear mount, but Hutchinson was the OEM for the passenger side mount.

I got involved in a discussion with a rep over there... there's a limited chance we can convince them to do a run of the mounts again. They have to run a serious number for a cycle, so odds are against it. But, I will take it up with him again in a month or so (And yes, I did ask him if it would help if I got a bunch of buyers lined up... but the run number is 1000 or more, so getting 50 people here lined up to buy isn't significant).

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The factory passenger's side mount I put on last night definitely didn't have the Hutchinson logo on it. It was also made in Germany, and Hutchinson makes their parts in France. I should have taken a picture of it, but the logo looked like some sort of "C", I think with a triangle next to or through it.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
The factory passenger's side mount I put on last night definitely didn't have the Hutchinson logo on it. It was also made in Germany, and Hutchinson makes their parts in France. I should have taken a picture of it, but the logo looked like some sort of "C", I think with a triangle next to or through it.

Interesting. I have a Corteco mount for the rear, I will see if I can check the logo on that. It would seem odd though that Corteco would stop making the original passenger mount while it still seems to be making the rear... either that or they made a billion of them for the rear and are just selling off old stock.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That does seem odd. Maybe they continue to make the rear one because it fits all models, versus needing two different parts for the passenger's side? I've wondered how well the automatic transmission mount would hold up on a manual car. It seems like a much simpler part, more like the one on the transmission end.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
That does seem odd. Maybe they continue to make the rear one because it fits all models, versus needing two different parts for the passenger's side? I've wondered how well the automatic transmission mount would hold up on a manual car. It seems like a much simpler part, more like the one on the transmission end.

Photos make it look like the mounting tabs are not in the same plane a la the manual one... but I'm thinking that's an illusion? Might be possible to urethane fill one to get the same stiffness as a manual mount.

In good news for me, it looks like my oil pan is still 1/2" above the subframe (although my car is on jack stands in front, so there might be a weight shift). But, I'm thinking my mount on that side is probably OK.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
On the engine (passenger with LHD) the mount bolt positions are identical, so must just be illusion in the pics. I've used an Auto in a Manual before with no major differences, but filling with polyurethane was not successful even in a brand new mount it didn't adhere well to the rubber and worked its way loose over the months.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My $20 (delivered) right side mount showed up the other day and I just now looked at it. It is labeled Westar EM5492...which RockAuto sells for $65 plus shipping.

I bought it on eBay from Protier

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I suspect the manual vs automatic mounts are different only in their dampening characteristics.... physically, they are definitely interchangeable... the body is obviously the same, as is the bracket on the engine. It would be interesting to know what the "tuning" differences truly are.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
638 Posts
Interesting you guys haven't mentioned Rein or Febi mounts? Are these still an option?
I recall quite a detailed post about quantity issues - mainly with the Pro-parts versions.
My engine mount was replaced at around 110k (km) so I don't have to worry about this for a while yet.
My understanding with the GS poly mounts - you only feel the slight vibration increase when stopped - based on various reporting.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, for the right-hand mount, there don't seem to be Febi or Rein options. Both of those companies do, or at least did, make left-hand transmission mounts, though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts