SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after many months of not operating my moonroof, I used it yesterday. I tilted it upwards.

Then, a few minutes later, tried to close it. No luck. It wouldn't close. I pressed the button one click forward, two clicks forward, one click back, two clicks back, up, you name it. It wouldn't close. Instead, it would start to close, and then it would go right back up.

After 20 attempts, it finally closed.

I tried it agains this morning, and the same thing happened. Obviously, we have a problem.

Anyone have any idea what could be malfunctioning?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use my moonroof regularly and I have experienced the same problem on 3 or 4 seperate occasions now. Usually removing the key and reinserting it will allow me to close the moonroof for some reason... I have yet to take it up with the dealer as i can only see one of those "sorry, we can't duplicate the problem" responses.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saabrian said:
I use my moonroof regularly and I have experienced the same problem on 3 or 4 seperate occasions now. Usually removing the key and reinserting it will allow me to close the moonroof for some reason... I have yet to take it up with the dealer as i can only see one of those "sorry, we can't duplicate the problem" responses.
This has happened to about 3 or 4 times so far. The first two times I didn't really pay much attention. I just let it go. Now I will not let it go, because it was a real pain in the ***** to close the moonroof.

I am not going to touch my moonroof until I see the dealership. By then, the problem will have "reset" itself and should show up when they try it themselves.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That is the pinch protection. I experienced this as well.

The short term work around is to hold down the window lockout button on the driver's side door while operating the sunroof button. This works for the front auto-close feature as well.

There are direction here on how to recalibrate the pinch protection ... I just had my dealer do this for me.

·
Registered
980 Posts
It may be the pinch-protection that's causing this action. Next time it happens, try holding down the button on the drivers door that locks out the rear power windows while you activate the sunroof control and see if it closes OK. This is the procedure in the 2006 owners manual to overide pinch protection. I couldn't find a procedure for re-calibrating the sunroof, like we can do for the windows. Lack of use may have caused the grease to harden and the roof is requiring more current than it should to close. I use my sunroof almost every day and have not had any issues with it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The manual doesn't say anything about calibrating the sunroof opening/closing. Only the windows. It does, of course, mention pinch protection as a feature of the sunroof.

I like the explanation of the grease hardening. Indeed, I did not notice this problem when the weather was warm. Where I am, it has gotten chilly, and that is when I first noticed it. Moreover, after I finally get the sunroof to close, I can open and close it normally as many times as I want. It's only after I've left it for a while that this problem happens....perhaps long enough for the grease to harden.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cadcamjim said:
It may be the pinch-protection that's causing this action. Next time it happens, try holding down the button on the drivers door that locks out the rear power windows while you activate the sunroof control and see if it closes OK. This is the procedure in the 2006 owners manual to overide pinch protection. I couldn't find a procedure for re-calibrating the sunroof, like we can do for the windows. Lack of use may have caused the grease to harden and the roof is requiring more current than it should to close. I use my sunroof almost every day and have not had any issues with it.
Well, I tried the sunroof again (i.e. tilting it up and trying to close it). Sure enough, it started to close a couple of inches then re-opened again. Then I pressed the pinch-protection override button, and sure enough, it closed. And just as it reached the point where it had previously reversed direction and re-opened, I heard the motor "strain" just a little.

It could very well be what you said: hardened grease. Either that or there's something obstructing it, but your grease explanation is a better one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts