SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P0134 CEL even with a new O2 sensor installed. A search on this forum suggests repairing the J16 junction/Pin 58, etc, etc.

My problem is that I'm not really sure where I'm looking and for what?

Posts mention the "blue and grey wire" that connects to the black wire and to rebuild that junction. I don't have a grey wire in this bundle. Am I even in the right bundle to begin with? Thank in advance for any help.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I guess I was looking in the wrong spot. Duh!

Here is a pic of the ECU which is actually under the cowl, I thought it was on the firewall. Note that this is a 2002 9-5 w/2.3 4cyl

Here you can see pretty plainly the two wires (one grey, one blue) that are entering J16 and the black wire that is coming out of the junction. I will resolder those three together and hope that the P0134 code FINALLy goes away.

·
Registered
398 Posts
can you post pictures of that all done I'm having the same issue and need an Etest before November and don't want that to be the reason it fails, do you cut the black casing away then wire them all together ?

off topic question did you install the PVC kit your self? if so how hard is it i need to get it done *have kit just been busy)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I did was cut the three wires (black, grey, blue shown in pic) where they enter that black shielded cable. There was enough slack in the grey and blue wires (barely) to strip the ends and solder them to the black wire. The black wire is considerably longer and once everything was soldered up, I wrapped the connection in electrical tape.

The CEL would come on within 10 mins of clearing it. So far since rebuilding the solder joint (several days) all is good!

Note that once you unsnap the harness from the actual ECU and pull it out you have plenty of room to work on it.

The PVC kit I did awhile back, as I recall it wasn't too bad. Had to work under the car and up on top.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what is the purpose of removing that black part of the wires? is the connection broken inside?
Yes. The way I understand it is that the ECU will throw a P0134 code (O2 sensor) if those three wires are experiencing too much resistance. Not exactly sure why that would happen, but I will tell you that after putting in a brand new Saab O2 sensor I still got that code after a few minutes. That made no sense.

I don't think the wires break completely, but they do break enough to change either the voltage or resistance that the ECU expects to see.

Since I've soldered the three together the P0134 code has disappeared! ;ol;

G

·
wow so weird, i am having the same problem with my car now. getting a P0134 code. i will check the resistance in wire 58, and 34 to the o2 sensor. anybody know which pin on the o2 sensor it goes to? thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
wow so weird, i am having the same problem with my car now. getting a P0134 code. i will check the resistance in wire 58, and 34 to the o2 sensor. anybody know which pin on the o2 sensor it goes to? thanks
i had that problem when i got the car and i got my 3" exhaust installed they had to extend the wiring for the new setup i didn't get the code again for 3 months now im getting it again so i would just try the wiring at the ecu 1st and see how that goes

G

·
i just checked my J16 junction, everything looked good, i checked resistance from blue wire on pin 3 of o2 sensor to pin 58 and there is zero resistance which is great!, i cleaned all connections and used dielectric grease. there was a bit corrosion on the o2 sensor plug, i cleaned up and put grease. i started the car and let it idle, i was monitoring the o2 with my scanner then all of a sudden the sensor reading went to Zero. and code P0131 came up. which is o2 sensor low volts. i dont know what the heck happened. maybe i will open up the o2 connection and clean the dielectric grease?

G

·
i cleaned the dielectric grease at the o2 sensor connection and still the o2 went to zero volts. i left the grease on the ecu connection i dident touch that. maybe it burnt up the o2 sensor? i have no idea why this is happening. i guess i will try a new o2 sensor next.

EDIT: i had a spare o2 from my 01 car, i just plugged it in without connecting it to the exhaust and still its only getting zero volts, the car starts then from .500 volts drops all the way down to zero. but i can feel the o2 sensor heater working so thats good.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ii cleaned all connections and used dielectric grease.
Since the grease is an insulator, that might be your problem if you put it on the actual contacts.

Dielectric grease is great in the right situation. Smearing it on low voltage connections isn't one of them.

G

·
^^^ thanks for the tip. will be working on that today. so weird that this all of a sudden happened as soon as i pulled into the smog inspection station to get the car checked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts