SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2000 9 5 with 101000 on the clock that had been well cared for and only needed a couple little things to make perfect.I bought it knowing the valves rattled so when I got it home I changed the oil and they still rattled.Next I did the oil pan drop and cleaned it out in which it was not bad.I then did the oil pressure relief valve and it just fell out and was not stuck.I changed the oil again and put 5w 40 in it from 5w 30.The valves still rattle more so on the #1 cyl than any where.Pulled the valve cover and all looks good with no dead lifters.Its not an injector its the valves.Every few starts I get the misfire code but not always I have a new DI on the way any suggestions on how to get the valves from rattling?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Is this 4 or 6 cyl? You sure it's the valves and not the chain (assuming you have a 4-cyl). chains have tendency to stretch and could rattle (or could be chain guides too). If bent valve, I would have thought you'd get a constant misfire and not intermittent. Search this forum thoroughly, I've seen other posts with similar problems where it turned-out it was something else (I'm not saying that it is not the valve, but better make sure before tearing down things).

·
Registered
154 Posts
BG makes an oil additive you put in oil, run for ~25 minutes, drain oil, put new oil in.
it seems to thin out the oil and removes sludge, I do the service rather often on Volvos and Saabs because no one seems to change their oil these days

1 - 3 of 3 Posts