SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done a forum search on the problem (lots of good info!) but mine has the added twist of an interesting noise....so I thought I'd post it up.

Sorry for the typo in the title...it's a 96 900S, 5-speed, non-turbo, 140K miles. CEL shows cam position sensor needed. Mechanic said it's fine for now and it would not strand me.

It has been hard to start on cold mornings...engine turns over fine, runs for a second or two, sputters, and dies.

One day the car wouldn't crank. All the dash lights come on, accessories come on. When turning the ignition to the start position, I get a rather loud buzzing noise from the left side of dash (roughly beneath the speaker), and the tach needle sweeps over to the right, then back.

It's a buzz, not a solenoid click, not any warning chime I've ever heard from the car before.

Jump starting it didn't change the situation. Then, on a random attempt, it started fine on its own.

Same situation the next day. When engine started, it ran fine. Parked it that night, this morning it won't start again.

I'll do the usual research on ignition/starter/etc issues but I thought the buzzing sound was unique based on a search here, and thought it might offer up a clue to someone who has heard of this before.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Do the full battery, charging system service, we may have a shortage of volts here.
With a problem starting in the cold, I suspect the inlet manifold temperature sensor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts