SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through page after page of lighting questions, but I can not find the answer to my question.

I own a 2004 9.3 Linear with poor low beam lighting and I would like to change the low beam bulbs to a brighter bulb.

Here are my questions:

• The lights I can flash are not automatic leveling, what type of lights are they?
  • Are these the lights I want to change out? Or, do I want to change the smaller lights bulbs that are closest to the grill?
  • Recommendations, I only want brighter lights not blinding

Thanks for any help

Dave

·
Registered
759 Posts
You could try Silverstars. They are 25% brighter.

Are your headlights correctly adjusted? Car ever in front end collision? If so maybe were not readjusted correctly after repair?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had the same situation. I swapped out the OEM halogen headlights for SilverStars and it made a big difference... got mine at Wally World. Just make sure you put the rubber cap back on snugly to keep moisture out. Osram is the same thing so get whichever is cheaper.

Further, I took my '04 to the dealer to have the headlights re-aimed. The Linear does not have self-leveling headlights and mine were aimed too low. The dealer didn't charge a dime for this. I did have to pay for a Tech II service to have the DRL turned off and now my lights work as ROTW. Be aware that unless you have this done to yours as well, running the headlights all the time will shorten the lifespan of the bulbs considerably. I think SilverStars have a lifespan of 130 hours or so.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
These are getting a rep for being the brightest: http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=81&gclid=CNeHzo7c-o8CFUWoGgod5xQRmQ

They are available in the US

although personally I use Osram Cool Blues in my Highs.

Regarding Bulb Life, much more than 130 hours, I work nights..it's dark when I leave--it's dark when I come home. My last H7's burned 2-3 hours a day for two years then I sold the car. If you touch the bulb with your bare hands, the natural oils in your skin allow hot spots to form on the glass then they burn out quickly.

·
Registered
759 Posts
There is a new version of Silverstars called Silverstar Ultra which states it has a longer bulb life.

These will cost you $40-50/pair at a retail store, but I've bought them on Ebay for $15-20 per pair +ship.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah, Silverstars are a nice change... but 130 hours lifespan? Are we crazy? They shouldn't be allowed to sell light bulbs that only last 6 months under normal usage... what a racket!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I think that may have been a bit of an exaggeration.

EDIT: Since we're in a lighting thread, here's the latest Sylvania bulb guide for the SS. I've left in the descriptive comments. Cut, paste, print to have on file;) I cross checked with 07's...all the same through the MY's

SAAB 9-3 (4-door with HID (high intensity discharge) headlam)
Low beam headlamp
HID-D2S

High beam headlamp
H7
H7SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
H7ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H7XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
H7CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light
H7LL Long Life Halogen: Lasts two and a half times longer

Parking light
1157A
1157AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style
1157ALL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp
2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front turn signal
1157A
1157AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style
1157ALL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Rear turn signal
7507A
7507AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

Tail light
7528LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Stop light
7506LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

High mount stop light

Fog/Driving light
H3-55W
H3ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

License plate
6418LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light
7506LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker

Rear sidemarker

Glove box

Map light

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light
3893LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Trunk/Cargo area
6418LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

·
Registered
3 Posts
What kind of light?

My wife just got the left low beam failure on her 9-3 Aero. When I checked the lights, it's the bulb inside the lense enclosure...Is that a xenon bulb?...how do I know which bulb to purchase to replace it? The halogens are relatively cheap, but all the xenons are over $100...

one of the posts above say the low beam is an HID-D2S...but powerbulbs.com says that they are an H7?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you know if the car has Xenon lights? If you are unsure, there is an easy way to check. On Xenon equipped cars there is always a yellow warning sticker under the hood near the headlights warning of high voltage, etc. On cars with normal halogens this sticker is not installed.

Halogen cars use an H7 bulb available from any auto parts store and xenon equipped cars use a D2S light source that some auto parts places can order or can be sourced from several online sources.

Be aware of one thing, if your car has xenons and you replace one light source it may have a slightly different color due to the difference in age of the two sources. This is normal and does not effect performance of the light. There are also some differences in color between sources from different manufacturers, ex. Phillips sources look more "blue" than a Sylvania source.

Matt

twcurry said:
My wife just got the left low beam failure on her 9-3 Aero. When I checked the lights, it's the bulb inside the lense enclosure...Is that a xenon bulb?...how do I know which bulb to purchase to replace it? The halogens are relatively cheap, but all the xenons are over $100...

·
Registered
3 Posts
mjweimer said:
Do you know if the car has Xenon lights? If you are unsure, there is an easy way to check. On Xenon equipped cars there is always a yellow warning sticker under the hood near the headlights warning of high voltage, etc. On cars with normal halogens this sticker is not installed.

Halogen cars use an H7 bulb available from any auto parts store and xenon equipped cars use a D2S light source that some auto parts places can order or can be sourced from several online sources.

Be aware of one thing, if your car has xenons and you replace one light source it may have a slightly different color due to the difference in age of the two sources. This is normal and does not effect performance of the light. There are also some differences in color between sources from different manufacturers, ex. Phillips sources look more "blue" than a Sylvania source.

Matt

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
335 Posts
mjweimer said:

Matt
I replaced one xenon bulb this year and at first you could tell the difference in color, but now (a month later) you can't tell the difference. This is as long as you buy a bulb that is the same intensity as the other stock bulb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

Guys

Thank you for input, I now have a much better understanding of what lights I need to purchase to inprove my low beam lighting issues.

Thanks again

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts