SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR: can led hyper flash be fixed with a new control module?

I realize the subject of LEDs has been covered extensively and I've been reading all I can find periodically for a few weeks now, but I'm at a point where I need to ask directly!

I got it in my head to install LEDs in my 07 9-3 sedan as I had a couple bulbs that needed replacing anyway, and got as far as learning about canbus bulbs before I ordered some for the license plate and forward turn signals. Once I had the license plate bulbs in I learned the hard way about hyperflashing, resistors, relays, etc. Not enough to be an expert but enough to fumble my way through and probably not electrocute myself or start any fires.

But this thread, on a 9-7x, has someone who apparently solved all their led woes by replacing their flasher control module with an led compatible one. On a whim I ordered the same Novita LM502 module they used, thinking it might fit a 9-3 as well (I didn't have any particular reason to think that, it was just a gamble).

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?533089&p=4803025&amp=1#post4803025

Anyway, after an afternoon of poking around the interior of the car I haven't found anything remotely similar to the module for me to replace. And all my searching online for the location of the existing control module has only led me to a pair of 4 pin relays under the steering wheel (pictured) one of which is for the wipers, I think.

Am I even looking in the right place? Is a 9-7 flasher control module compatible with a 9-3? And is it actually possible to eliminate hyper flash by swapping out one part rather than wiring in a series of relays?

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can offer.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,615 Posts
Completely different cars. The 9-3 uses a totally different filament monitor via the bus. The 9-7x uses a much more rudimentary system, which is why it can be defeated with an LED flasher. If it were that easy on the 9-3 we'd have done it a long time ago.

Sorry to burst the bubble - it ain't easy being Swedish

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
That car might say Saab but make no mistake, it's a Trailblazer. Nothing in common.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Completely different cars. The 9-3 uses a totally different filament monitor via the bus. The 9-7x uses a much more rudimentary system, which is why it can be defeated with an LED flasher. If it were that easy on the 9-3 we'd have done it a long time ago.

Sorry to burst the bubble - it ain't easy being Swedish
That's about what I figured but it was worth asking before I returned the flasher. Thanks!

It explains why I haven't found any threads talking specifically about it on a 9-3; hopefully this thread shows up in the Google results of the next person who gets the same idea.

That car might say Saab but make no mistake, it's a Trailblazer. Nothing in common.
At least it hasn't been a complete waste of time, in the process of looking for an LED fix I stumbled across your tip about sealing the cabin air filter housing with silicone. Doing that today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts