SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched everywhere for my specific question but can't find the answer, so here goes.
I have 1 only working key for my MY02 9-5. By working I mean that the blade and transponder allow me to open and start car.
The transmitter for unlocking etc doesn't work - I have had it tested and no signal. The transponder lives inside the small white transmitter board, so without any other keys I have no option to change out and register (with Tech2) with a working transmitter transponder.
I will shortly have another cut blade with transmitter and transponder in.
Does anyone know whether my existing key will be sufficient to register the new key transponder/transmitter even though current transmitter (only) not working?
It's going to cost me around $200 to spend an hour at a workshop with Tech2 Saab module, so rather not waste this.
Thanks guys, love the info and community here.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
If you key transponder chip works (you can start car), you can add key(s) with TECH2. You just by-pass opening button pressing sequence.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you key transponder chip works (you can start car), you can add key(s) with TECH2. You just by-pass opening button pressing sequence.
Thanks for info. So when I add a key (with a working remote transmitter) it should code the transmitter to the remote system? Then in theory I can use this as my "master" to add another key with remote transmitter?

Plenty of vids online coding transponder/transmitter with Tech2 for a 9-3, but none I can find with OG 9-5. If I'm sure the above will work I will probably buy a Tech2 Clone.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
If your present key is an all-in-one with the remote buttons in the head, you can look for one of those button modules on-line, or in cars being scrapped. You can then replace the module in your existing key (which has a failed remote) with the module from the scrap car's key. Usual Tech II programming required. I am assuming that you have received the second key and programmed it to your car by then.

This will give you two keys that have working remote, and that also will start your car. For fun, you can also program the current module, by swapping it into a key blade during the programming. Keep it as a spare: even if the remote doesn't work, it will still be able to start the car in a pinch (assuming you still have a key blade for your car, of course).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your present key is an all-in-one with the remote buttons in the head, you can look for one of those button modules on-line, or in cars being scrapped. You can then replace the module in your existing key (which has a failed remote) with the module from the scrap car's key. Usual Tech II programming required. I am assuming that you have received the second key and programmed it to your car by then.

This will give you two keys that have working remote, and that also will start your car. For fun, you can also program the current module, by swapping it into a key blade during the programming. Keep it as a spare: even if the remote doesn't work, it will still be able to start the car in a pinch (assuming you still have a key blade for your car, of course).
Yes, key is all in one.
Yes, have secured a couple of internals with working transmitters from scrapped cars, and have a new housing on it's way ready for blade cutting.
Potentially I can get my existing transmitter repaired, however have to send it away, without car, and very concerned that if it gets lost in transit I then have no keys at all and basically almost have to junk car - or spend much time and $$ replacing Twice etc.

Hence the question about the programming and whether a key without transmitter will allow Tech2 to programme a key with transmitter to work as a remote, and become my "master" to programme another remote key.

If you're sure it can be done that's great.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I can't say I'm positive, as I have not tried that.

Obviously you don't want to send away your only transponder (in the non-working remote module) until you've programmed at least one other module. Note that if you have access to a Tech II right now, you can at least program all the other modules you have, by swapping them into your single key blade/head, one by one. At that point, you can also try to program the remotes from the other modules.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
The electronics in the key are in essence two things

The first is an RFID like tag that has a number. The car asks the key "what's your number" and then looks it up to see if the car knows that number. if it does, the car starts. if not the car responds with "key not recognized"

The second is the transmitter for the remote, this sends a 433Mhz signal (IIRC) to the car with a coded message to tell it what to do.

If the car starts, the RIFD part is working even if the remote part is not working.

You need the RFID part to get the Tech 2 into remote programming mode, the remote doesn't have to work.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
Unclemiltie's right. When you have the Tech 2 hooked up, you can use your existing key that starts the car to start programming mode, then quickly swap your new remote module into your existing key, and press the button (unlock, I think it is), until that one's programmed. That remote module should then enable your existing key to start the car and lock and unlock it.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
That remote module should then enable your existing key to start the car and lock and unlock it.
Strictly speaking, the existing key lets you lock and unlock it even if the remote isn't working. I use the key in the lock 80% of the time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, mainly success today, thinks for tips. I now have 3 keys that will start the car. There was no action (as suspected) from my remote on original key. I didn't swap out remotes (have one now which at least I know transmits) and it didn't do anything to the seatbelt light when I pressed it as per Tech2 instructions. I'll have the car away next week and will take it to a guy who thinks he can fix my original remote and we'll see what happens.It could of course also be the remote receiver which is the problem - that is between/behind the seats I think. Couldn't see any diagnosis or fault codes for this in Tech2 but will play around a bit more later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - some success! A remote guy got a signal from my old original remote - intermittent but a glimpse of action. Couldn't get still any action from the seat belt light with Tech2. But I did with my other newly acquired 2nd key - almost missed it. I hit the boot button to see any SID action - lo & behold my boot opened! Hit the lock button on this from inside car and wahoo - that lovely, solid "clunk" as the locks went down. So far so good. It wouldn't unlock however, even with the switch near the shifter. Opened the door and yes, the alarm works. I put this key in and started it - it took some time for the alarm to stop, took other original key and started - eventually alarm stopped but I don't know whether this just a time delay issue. However after finishing up I couldn't lock/unlock from outside the car, nor open boot. So I know that my receiver works (but not sure how good it is) and that at least one part of one transmitter works, at least sometimes. More time required, but pleased to at least get somewhere. Small steps...:) Should I have the key to on, or just in, to get SID message? Should SID tell me about my non-remote (but learned transponder) equipped key as well?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Small steps still. So my one known good transmitter (still) has the functions working (enough) to: activate the programming process (unlock button, 8 times), lock the car and arm alarm (lock button0, and display on SID (1 x transmitter, 3 x transponder). Won't now open boot, won't unlock car and disarm alarm. Any clues anyone?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts