SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, So I have an un-broken whaletail, and a nice clean hatch, is there a way to combine the two and keep them that way?

Any mounting pictures or recommended hardware is appreciated. I dont want to try and end up messing them both up. Have to paint it any way so there is no rush.

Thanks,
-Alex

·
Registered
429 Posts
Same over here...

The rear window seal goes over the lip of the whaletail right?

I also lost 2 screws, how much do you think saab would charge for some more?

Edit: Can somebody with a whaletail post some pics please, I want to see how it fits

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you have the Duck tail spoiler the Whale tail uses the same mounting holes minus 2 on the far ends(I think) and then there are 3 or 4 more required further down the hatch....if you look at the underside of the whale tail you should see them on the strengthening ribs.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you do not have any mounting hardware, what i did on my older car to put a spoiler on was this-

Took all the trunk paneling off of the inside, then i drilled 2 holes in the trunk about an 1/8'' diameter and used the good old fashioned nut and bolt routine. Just put a few in there whereever the spoiler had holes and fastened it on there. Then i got some rubber molding to seal the edges so water cant get under neath the spoil and start to rot it or rust the car. Worked great. 3M Double sided molding tape works great too for temporary work.

By the way any info on where i can get a whale tale?? Ive been looking for about 45 minutes through google and what not to try to find one. Getting kind of frustrated. Anyone know???:evil:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
saab900turboguy said:
If you do not have any mounting hardware, what i did on my older car to put a spoiler on was this-

Took all the trunk paneling off of the inside, then i drilled 2 holes in the trunk about an 1/8'' diameter and used the good old fashioned nut and bolt routine. Just put a few in there whereever the spoiler had holes and fastened it on there. Then i got some rubber molding to seal the edges so water cant get under neath the spoil and start to rot it or rust the car. Worked great. 3M Double sided molding tape works great too for temporary work.

By the way any info on where i can get a whale tale?? Ive been looking for about 45 minutes through google and what not to try to find one. Getting kind of frustrated. Anyone know???:evil:
They are very rare, and only Genune Saab.

You could be in for a loooooooooooong hunt I'm afraid.

·
Registered
843 Posts
saab900turboguy said:
Have a look at the following pics, these guys seem to have a surplus of whaletails that they mount them on the 4-door sedan :eek:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm really liking that first one with the side exhaust, standard rims, and the wheel arches that are obviously non-carlsson....the other wheel arches?...not so much

And the deleted trim and molding etc looks nice with the slimmer rear bumper which just looks like rubber to me.

...also the 2 tone blk and yellow one with brightly colored um wheel.
And is it just me or do all the whaletails look like the rubber section is smaller, and the plastic/fiber/foamy section is bigger?

-Alex

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
saab900turboguy said:
There are fiberglass copies. Not the rubber-type material Saab originally used. Probably cost about the same between the two... as there apparently were not many imported into the US. Erebuni used to make a kit. I can't find it anywhere now. Apparently they discontinued the c900 line... only do c9000's now.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
****** said:
Does anyone have a picture of a properly mounted whaletail I can see?
The seal around the back window fits over the top lip of the whale-tail, and is basically shoved up under the seal as far as it will go.

Good luck,
-Rob

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Damn it Rob! That car looks hot!

If mine ends up looking that nice I'll be happy.

My 900 has a ducktail but I'll be replacing that with a whaletail yet I don't want to drill holes in the tailgate. How about using proper adhesive (something like Sikaflex) in leiu of the extra holes and fasteners?

The only force acting on the whaletail should be downwards and backwards. The original fasteners aren't heavy duty to the forces can't be that severe and modern adhesives are very strong.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Whaletail pics on my 3door 90 SPG...

Here's a couple..

I had a real Saab whaletail but it was deteriorating and wavy on the top so I actually then installed a fiberglass replica (which I like much better). The saab tail was installed back in 1990 or so (when car was new) and it was installed with the screws and a bead of adhesive (looked like something like windshield adhesive, NOT sikaflex on mine).

So then I installed the replica which I like much better (mines a Johannseen motorsport or something from sweden, not the US company's replica, which is also pretty good, not quite as good as mine tho I think).

I actually just have the fiberglass tail installed ONLY with very strong adhesive tape (no screws). I check it at every car wash for tightness but I've had it in winter/summer and up to 130 mph with no issues.

Here's the original accessory whaletail on my car:

And the new Johanssen motorsports fiberglass replica that I painted 2 tone, tally red with the matte black lip (wurth trim paint FYI):

Here's a shot of how the OEM accessory whaletail fit under the rubber molding on the rear window (note: I have my replica the same, ie fits under the molding here too):

The whaletail removed:

The underside of the original whaletail:

And a comparo of the original tail and my replica. The black scheme doesn't match 100% correctly but I plan on matching it slightly better next time. I'm used to it now and actually think it might look a bit better as I've painted it:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts