SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been kicked around alot, and ive read almost all postings and articles on idle problems, but I still cant anything relevant to my problem. I had the intake manifold off to clean the IAC and put in a shifter bushing. While I was back there I checked all vacuum lines and put hose clamps on ones that needed it. Long story short, when I replaced the manifold, I forgot to put a vacuum line on the FPR, so tore it off again, and put the line on. Now when I start it in the mornings, it revs to 1000, drops to 500, then almost to nothign, and I have to gas it to not stall out.:x Once it gets warmed up, it revs to about 1400 and stays there. For the life of me I cannot figure this one out. Its driving me nuts. I have taken off, cleaned and reconnected almost every relevant line and sensor visible near the manifold. No codes are thrown and no loss of power that I can see. Ive also propane tested almost every vacuum line to no avail. If somebody can point me to something im not seeing, let me know.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Had the same problem some time ago, you have to replace the IAC, I found out the hard way that they are very delicate when it comes to cleaning them out with solvents even when you are very careful when you do, and unfortunately they are not cheap.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Did you disturb the dipstick? This plastic tube attaches to the intake manifold on a bracket and is palstic. It is prone to cracking and will leak air when it does. it is also sealed with an o ring at the sump which will also leak air if it fails.

You have symptoms of a massive air leak somewhere that the AIC cannot comensate for so you are getting super lean idle.
Keep checking for air leaks ruthlessly.

A failing hooter valve will give these symptoms and that little plastic grey and white valve in the PVC hose from the intake to the camcover will give poor idle when it sticks open due to oil or dirt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill keep checking for air leaks, and I will see if I can hear the AIC come on when car is idling as well. I didnt disturb the dipstick, but I can check that as well. On saturday Im going to a junk yard to see if I can get some parts for my 9K. Do you know if an AIC (if I need it) off a 90-92 9K will work, or off of a 94-97 900? That is all that the junk yard has for Saabs:roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts