SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello peeps. I just replaced the oem Firestones on my new car with these tires. I bought them from Discount/America's tires. I guess Nissan likes to put odd ball size tires on their cars and trucks. The oem tire size is 195/55/16. The only company that makes that size is Firestone, which came on the car. These tires are worthless. So I upgraded to a 205/55/16 tire. The tire brand is Barum. I never heard of them at all. I thought they were some crap tire they sell locally. I told the guy on the phone I will come down and check them out.

I went online and Googled Barum. It looks like they are a German tire company,and Continental owns them. They been around for over 100 years. So I went down and checked them out in person. They were put together pretty well. They are made in France. So I know they will be up to standards.

They are night and day difference then the Pirelli's I had on my SS. They don't tramline the same highways the Pirelli's did. They are ten times quieter then the Pirelli's were new. So if you are on a budget. Then check these tires out.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Good to see you are still checking in. I hope you have good luck with your new ride.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
According to the french forums:
Barum is a second brand made by Continental. People have put them on BMs and Mercs and are happy. But don'expect them to last for ever as the rubber is soft. Probably excellent value for money. But made in Chechoslovakia.

Barum

qualite pneus de la Maison Continental, segment bugetaire, fabriquees dans la Republique Tcheque

Bravuris 225/45 ZR17 91W mit Felgenrippe

Le Bravuris est un pneu moderne pour la classe élevée de vitesse.
Il est caractérisé par son très bon rapport qualité/prix.
Le Bravuris est un pneu longévital avec une manipulation de courbe très sûre.
Il éféctue la poignée précise au grande vitesse, le vent et le mauvais temps.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ones I bought have Made in France on the sidewall. Maybe the ones they ship to the US are made in France, and the ones made for Europe are made in Chech Rep.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Any performace tire is likely to be made with a sticy compound (one would hope), and they all wear faster than mileage and comfort-centered touring tires. Certain sizes of tires are simpy more commonplace on a performance-oriented application than others, so some sizes you will find mainly teouring tires and others will be mainly performance tires.

Mileage and wear still varies a lot within either category, and some wear more evenly than others, regardless of alignment or inflation. And noise is a big factor also.

I find it surprising to me how many people running performance tires come back alarmed saying "wow, I only got 30k out of these tires". You are doing well to get 20k out of a performance tire, unless you drive around at under 30MPH all day long. There is a definite price to pay for the added adhesion and speed rating that a performance tire provides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts