SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 9-3 with about 190k miles in which I have replaced the blower motor resistor (in the manual climate control model) 2-3 times and the blower motor itself at least once. I am not the primary driver anymore so am not privy to everyday nuances. But I got in the car a week or two ago and the fan wasn't blowing and I thought, "great, here we go again." It's been so darn hot I was reluctant to dig in until I had a nice cool day. Then a few days ago I was driving to the store an lo and behold the fan was working, blowing at all settings. Very intriguing, getting my juices flowing. But that lasted only a day and then it was not blowing again.

When electrical parts fail of course, they typically fail in totality, and if there is an intermittent issue it is typically some connection. I initially suspected the switch itself, but it appropriately turns on or off the a/c compressor as it is turned. So today, despite the heat, I decided to remove the glove box and poke around (after 3-4 times of this over the years I can do it blindfolded.)

I checked resistance at the blower motor and it checked out. Hmmmm. So then I started the car, turned the a/c and fan on and started jiggling wires around. When I pressed around on the wires going into the blower motor resistor, suddenly the fan started! Eureka! When I removed my hand the fan cut back off. Turns out the connection had just come loose and when I pressed it up well all is working fine.

So this story is just a tip. Sometimes things are just solved by replacing a fuse or checking connections. I almost ordered the resistor online in advance. Glad I saved 50 bucks and only spent only about 30 minutes of my time and I didn't sweat too much.

The only issue is I realized I forgot to plug in the glove box light when I re-installed it. I'll save that for another time. It's too hot out.
Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
20,194 Posts
Please tell me you've caulked the cabin filter housing to the firewall......

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please tell me you've caulked the cabin filter housing to the firewall......
Actually no, but the problems stopped some time ago after I installed that aftermarket shield to stop seepage into the cabin fan. (At least they have stopped until next time!)

·
Super Moderator
20,194 Posts
Actually no, but the problems stopped some time ago after I installed that aftermarket shield to stop seepage into the cabin fan. (At least they have stopped until next time!)
That works too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts